• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Pike Special Regs or Protected Slots

Rick

Oh Lord...where to begin?

Spike - "Fish are for eating" eh? I'm the last person in the world to criticize anyone for eating fish - I love it too. But to say that's all they're there for is utter nonsense. The fact is, people fish for lots of reasons, and not all of them have to do with cramming deep fried filets down your neck. For you, they're for eating. For others, they're a sport fish, and part of the enjoyment is the chance to catch bigger fish, and the satisfaction of watching them swim away. And, as smallie_hawgin rightly pointed out, survival rates are pretty high, and there are piles of research to support that. The only 100% mortality scenario involves a filet knife.

SH explained the biology to you very well - for all the good it will probably do - but the reality is fish don't get to 35" when they're dead at 27". They don't get to 27" when they're dead at 25. Research here in MN, on pike, has shown how low a level of harvest of mature, adult fish it can take to basically cancel out a lake's productivity for the entire year.

And to say "Be satisfied with 25 or 28 inch pike, they are the good eaters" really is amazing. So everyone - me included - who doesn't fish just for food should be satisfied with that because you are? Really? Why should I be satisfied with that, when many of our lakes are capable of producing pike far, far larger, in far greater quantities than they do today, and are only kept from doing so because the fish never get a chance to get to 35", or 40"? There's not a single thing about harvest regulations in place today that keeps you from keeping and eating a meal of fish. Nothing. What they DO do is make it possible for both of us to enjoy fishing as we choose, because we BOTH share the same resource.

But the icing on the cake is the "poor little Johnny" argument. Poor little Johnny will never like to fish if he can't keep every fish he catches, or can't keep a big fish. And it's all because of the big meanies (which is anyone who doesn't agree with grandpa) who don't think fish are only worthwhile when they're dipped in beer batter.

I worked at the In-Fisherman's Camp Fish for a decade, and in that time, taught the concept and practice of selective harvest to literally thousands of kids. I can tell you with 100% certainty that when you explain the value of conservation to a child, and how important it is to let some fish - especially mature, adult fish - go, they get it immediately. And at no time is it easier to explain, or easier for them to understand, than when they have the fish in their hands.

The "Poor Little Johnny" argument is utterly and completely bogus. Just an absolute joke. It isn't Little Johnny that won't get it and can't accept it. It's Big John.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

simply stated a person buy's a licence and they look in the reg's and see how you can fish for the targeted species and what you can keep as far as limits and size. then that person can decide what to do with the fish cought. recreation, catch and release, eat the fish or all of the above. i dont have a problem with any of that. caring about our fisheries is all about personal fishing ethics. there is no law or regulation that can be made for that. good luck.

Why do they only have surveys with their groups? I've been spearing since about 1960, and I've never been surveyed. Why do a few of you need help finding big fish. The experimental slots are wrong. Why not experiment with the people who like to catch and release, to see how many more fish die than are speared each year. I want a meal of fish, not three little ones. A 24, a 28, and a 26 incher would be fine, not a 21, a 22, and a 23 incher. Try guessing their length when they come in fast and grab your decoy. Try guessing at over 36 inches. Each lake is for everyone and not just the catch and release people, but if you need help getting large pike, ask a spearfisherman, or close the lake for pike until you get desired size.

Please stop Spike.

I don't agree with alot of the regulations but your arguements give spear fisherman a black eye.

As always RK you seem to put things in a perspective that is very understandable.

My concern is that it can be said from both sides of the street but what I hear from certain groups is that it should be only catch and release or ban this or ban that.

Quote:
And to say "Be satisfied with 25 or 28 inch pike, they are the good eaters" really is amazing. So everyone - me included - who doesn't fish just for food should be satisfied with that because you are? Really? Why should I be satisfied with that, when many of our lakes are capable of producing pike far, far larger, in far greater quantities than they do today, and are only kept from doing so because the fish never get a chance to get to 35", or 40"? There's not a single thing about harvest regulations in place today that keeps you from keeping and eating a meal of fish. Nothing. What they DO do is make it possible for both of us to enjoy fishing as we choose, because we BOTH share the same resource.

Yes I agree on the slots on some lake that need it. It does work but to put a out right ban on some lakes is also bogus.

We do need to work together to make this a great fishery again but its comments like these that make it not possible for some to work with others.

Quote:
"It's starting to turn, and it's a generational thing," Kellett said. "Once a certain demographic is no longer breathing, we'll have taken care of it."

I'm sorry but I don't see the logic is this and its nothing more that a reaction based emotion.

Sorry M.J., I'll stop but I think they are up to something, taking away the spearing license, and making it a endorsement. I think they have to here from those who have a different opinion.

Sorry M.J., I'll stop but I think they are up to something, taking away the spearing license, and making it a endorsement. I think they have to here from those who have a different opinion.

Who is "they"

To the best of mu knowledge noone on this HSOforum can take our spearing licenses.

Contact your state represenatives and the dnr. That is who can take or change your ability to get a spearing license.

Oh Lord, did You put the fish in the lakes for food or for play? Sorry, He said food. POINT MADE

A theological argument against pike management.

Now I HAVE seen it all.

They are the same ones who got the experimental slots. Years ago you could build deer stands on state and federal lands 6 feet high. Then 8 feet, then 10 feet, now 16 feet, but not on federal land because they snuck it in there along the way. You might not know who they are, but they are there. I used to think that a court hearing would be fair, but when you visit a federal court and see the judge and prosecuter, together against the defendent, you realize things aren't always fair. This is two against one, and is wrong. I grew up thinking the judge would listen to both sides and then come up with whats right. I don't trust government to do whats right, and the D.N.R., is part of they, those, and them.

Spike they are NOT taking away your spearing privileges they are making it easier and even more affordable to spear and Its about time.

Fishing licenses are going up $7.00 and spearing licenses are going down to $5.00 the deal with the endorsement is to save us money and allow us to spear at a lower cost . In the long run you will be saving money. More for decoys.

MN DNR News Release

March 26, 2012

Comments sought on rule limiting special northern pike regulations.

Comments on rules governing special regulations for northern pike and other fishing regulation matters will be accepted until Thursday, May 30, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has announced.

To comply with a legislative change in state law, emergency rules were enacted in November 2011 that reduced to 100 the number of lakes regulated for northern pike bag limits and catch-and-release. The current rule making process will make those emergency rules permanent.

Other changes are technical in nature to clarify and improve the consistency of regulations.

Comments should be directed to Linda Erickson-Eastwood by mail at 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4020; email at [email protected], or telephone at 651-259-5200.

Complete details are available on the DNR HSOforum.

Got a 46 inch, 25lbr ought millacs lake opening day off the walleye season. Always get a couple near or over 20lbs each year on there while fishing muskie. I got the secret plug. I mean it litterally never fails ta catch a pike over 8lbs trolling it up there. One day i got an 8lber, 13lber, 16lber, and 44 incher that went just over 20lbs. I think next to a sucker minnow its the best pike bait ever invented.

FYI...

Northern Pike Experimental Regulations up for review on Todd County’s Big Swan Lake.

Experimental regulations on Todd County’s Big Swan Lake will be discussed from 6-9 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 18, at Brunos Supper Club near Burtrum.

Big Swan Lake is located in south central Todd County near Burtrum. The lake covers nearly 900 acres and has had an experimental northern pike protected slot limit (24-36” with one over 36” and a daily bag limit of three) since 2008. Prior to this a 24” maximum length limit was in place since 1997. Fisheries data collected since 1997 show an improved size structure of northern pike with individual pike larger than 36” more common in spring assessments than in previous years.

Public input on existing experimental regulations will help DNR fisheries staff determine whether those regulations should be continued, modified or dropped.

People unable to attend the public input meeting may submit written comments to the DNR Little Falls area fisheries office, 16543 Haven Road, Little Falls, MN 56345. Comments also will be taken via email at [email protected] or phone at 320-616-2450 X225.

Comments on Big Swan Lake also will be accepted during an open house from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 26, at the DNR Central Office, 500 Lafayette Road, in St. Paul.

All comments must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 8.

I have to say, I believe in the slot limits on lakes. Just fished on one this past weekend. I had a lot of fun actually catching some big pike. I caught numerous fish over 24 with the biggest being 34. I was strictly release that day but had a couple under 24 that would have been perfect eaters.

I believe there should be a state wide 24-36 or mabe 40 inch slot with one over. Maybe increase the # of kept fish from 3 to 4.

Lakes that have a well balance pike population thrive with all species of fish. I dont think most people realize how much the balance of a fishery is affected when we keep mature fish and let small fish take over a lake. Selective harvest is key.

Its to bad the DNR is removing some of the slot lakes.

The DNR seems to have had some pretty solid success with their slots. I think all of us as anglers and the fisheries could benefit from more lakes carrying these slots.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if they played with forage species (adding ciscoes or golden shiners).

The DNR seems to have had some pretty solid success with their slots. I think all of us as anglers and the fisheries could benefit from more lakes carrying these slots.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if they played with forage species (adding ciscoes or golden shiners).

Most of the lakes they have tried adding forage food did not work. The forage food base is what it is and is controlled much by how big a predator base you have present.

At 24 inches you are still protecting to many male fish,in many lakes you would be better of with a 26-36 inch slot. Males almost never get bigger than 30 inches and at 26 you would eliminate many males. Only so much forage food out there.

They are the same ones who got the experimental slots. Years ago you could build deer stands on state and federal lands 6 feet high. Then 8 feet, then 10 feet, now 16 feet, but not on federal land because they snuck it in there along the way. You might not know who they are, but they are there. I used to think that a court hearing would be fair, but when you visit a federal court and see the judge and prosecuter, together against the defendent, you realize things aren't always fair. This is two against one, and is wrong. I grew up thinking the judge would listen to both sides and then come up with whats right. I don't trust government to do whats right, and the D.N.R., is part of they, those, and them.

and who are you? The DNR is made up of sons and daughters who were willing to devote much of there life to the natural resouces.