• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10 & 11yr old deer reg question

Page 62 of the 2009 Hunting Handbook states:

"Ten and

11-year-old residents are required to obtain a free license before hunting big game. The license is valid for either-sex deer in lottery, managed, and intensive deer areas or in youth antlerless areas by permit."

My question is, does this mean the free license comes with one either-sex tag? I though this license allowed them to hunt, but a parent or legal guardian had to use one of their tags to tag a deer shot by the 10 or 11 yr old.

Page 62 of the 2009 Hunting Handbook states:

"Ten and

11-year-old residents are required to obtain a free license before hunting big game. The license is valid for either-sex deer in lottery, managed, and intensive deer areas or in youth antlerless areas by permit."

My question is, does this mean the free license comes with one either-sex tag? I though this license allowed them to hunt, but a parent or legal guardian had to use one of their tags to tag a deer shot by the 10 or 11 yr old.

This year they get their own tag.

Ok, hate to sound nieve, but arnt kids required to go thru firearms safty, if so that dosent happen in my area they have to turn 12 before such an such a date. I am either unread in the regs which is my bad or I am missing something which is my bad again. Lou, please clarify. Boar

Ok, hate to sound nieve, but arnt kids required to go thru firearms safty, if so that dosent happen in my area they have to turn 12 before such an such a date. I am either unread in the regs which is my bad or I am missing something which is my bad again. Lou, please clarify. Boar

First, congrats on the bear. I haven't been so lucky yet, it's too darn hot down here. As for youth regs, they don't need to do hunter safety until they're 12 BUT they can now hunt as 10-11 YO's without hunter safety. Don't ask me why, but it's a legislative thing. It's actually been that way for small game for quite some time. There was a group recently put together to simplify the youth regulations so hopefully it'll get easier in the next couple of years. I wasn't part of that group so I can't take credit/blame for the outcomes. I just know there's a real attempt to simplify what kids can and cannot do.

It's great the state finally woke up and got the 10 and 11 year olds out there hunting big game! I think we were losing alot of kids to other stuff by waiting till they were 12 to legally hunt big game.

I know I'm excited for my 11 year old daughter to be out this fall with a bow in her hand, trying her luck!

She hunted last fall w/a rifle and it was great! She even got a shot at small buck, but missed. We still had a great time and she passed on some other does and fawns (her choice).

Brian

Why don't we just move the age to 8 or 6 years old. Why not go from conception? Another case of dumb legislators sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong.

Instead of making the kids wait until they are 12 to take gun training, why not let them take it when they are 10. It would be better for the kids to have the training before they go out hunting wouldn't it? This makes no sense. I know they have to be with an adult but it doesn't make sense for them to not have gun training first.

Now before anyone gets their panties in a bunch thinking I don't want kids hunting. Wrong answer. I can't wait to take my daughter out hunting. However, if I don't think she's ready at 10, 11, or 12 years old, gun training or not, I will make her wait. Every kid is different but I won't take her out hunting just because she is "old enough". There needs to be a level of trust and an understanding of safety and responsibility on her part. I would hope that any parent would require this before they let their child hunt.

Koonie, I agree with your decision to only take your child hunting when she is ready, that is great parenting!

On the side, I love the idea of allowing the kids to be able to hunt at an age younger than 12. No class will ever be able to teach like a responable parent/guardian can. My father had me shooting at the age of 5, by the end off that summer I knew how to handle and respect the firearm. This type of teaching coming from a trusted person such as a parent burns into a child head much more easily than a class.

Hunter saftey is absolutely critical for a child to go through and should always be a requirement at the age of 12. I think for those children that don't get properly aquainted to firearms by thier parents at a younger age, they will be able to better understand and retain the material at 12 than at a younger age.

Thanks Lou, going for number two. I excited to see this, it's awsome, many kids are ready before twelve. It dose not mean to turn them loose an say a prayer, not even at twelve. But it dose mean that a child that has been under the tutoring of their father an in shooting sports with 4H such as mine, can participate in harvesting a deer which mine an many of yours guyzez kids have been wanting to do for some time.Totally support hunter education at age twelve. But some are just ready at an earlier age, just as all life experiences. Halle has already made plans to shoot a bear but I said we'll shoot for age 14 but it might happen earlier. All kid are gifted, some just open their presents a little earlier an some like to wait. Boar

I am a firm believer that everything in the Hunter Safety class should be taught by the parent first. A kid with experience in the class will do much better than one that has never fired a gun or hunted. I know thats obvious but I have a sister in the cities that wasn't going to let her kid hunt with us until he had the class, I told her that it benefit him much more to get out and spend some time with his uncles and grandfather. I don't want class to be the first time he has handled a real firearm. She has since agreed with me and I've had him shooting a couple of times. He has graduated from the pellet gun to the .22 this summer.