• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer and Food

lungdeflator

This time of year I would suspect grass and alfalfa would be their primary feed source. Corn is certainly a primary cover for them this time of year in ag country. If you can find a certain point where the deer are going in and out of the corn more than just random... I would try set up there. Keep in mind the deer will probably want to run into the standing corn when hit by the arrow.

Originally Posted By: USPENAMC
when do they usually harvest the beans?

Right before corn. Usually not until beginning of Oct.

After the beans are full-grown but before the pods turn yellow.

I hate to poke fun at you two "slickers", but do you EVER make it out of the city? About 2-3 weeks after soybeans start turning yellow, the leaves will fall off, leaving the brown stem and pods. You will have a week or two depending on drying conditions before they are harvested

I grew up in south texas and the plots/farming is completely different such as onions, watermelons, cucumbers, oranges, grapefruit. I have been in minnesota since 2001 but havent really paid attention to the harvest times due to the fact that I rifle hunted and it didnt matter by then. Now that I started bow hunting I must take these other things into consideration. ahhh bow hunting a new awesome venture

Do deer still like soybeans after the beans turn yellow? If they have a choice between yellow beans, green corn, and harvested wheat fields which will they prefer?

Activity will go way down after a bean field starts to turn yellow. They might nibble on them, but not like they were during August. I think a lot of people get their hopes up the last week of August when they see 20 deer in a bean field and then on bow opener, they don't see anything. Look for other green foods like alfalfa or volunteer oats and wheat after they get harvested and resprout.

Originally Posted By: lungdeflator
Do deer still like soybeans after the beans turn yellow? If they have a choice between yellow beans, green corn, and harvested wheat fields which will they prefer?

Activity will go way down after a bean field starts to turn yellow. They might nibble on them, but not like they were during August. I think a lot of people get their hopes up the last week of August...

Count me in with the group that has their hopes up! The farmer was fairly late in getting his beans planted in the field surrounding my hunting spot. Most the beans in the remaining countryside are turning yellow, but the fields directly around me, planted last, are still green. Without a hint of yellow, yet. If they are still green come opener that is where I'll be, but most likely they will also be yellowing and you will find me near my alfalfa/clover plot.

GF is a differnt style of hunting. ND has a rule not posted anyone can hunt. Knock on doors and ask is what I suggest. I hunt south of GF a few miles on the MN side and I found a bunch of farmers who want the deer shot so I got 3 miles of river bottom to hunt.

Soybeans are starting to turn right now. Editable's should be dropped already and harvested soon. Wheat fields after they get plowed and a little bit of rain like we just did will have a regrowth which will work great. Deer will hit green plants since juicy but will hit anything depending on food sources. Sugar beets are an awesome source of food. Deer will hit corn no matter when. I saw them uprooting corn plants and eating the whole thing.

When a combine comes through it usually will kick around 5-10% out the back end. So even if the field is harvested deer will still come out to hit it. Most soy fields will get lightly worked but some guys leave them unworked so food is just sitting there.