• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eye dominance

rharm

I'm sure its been asked before, but just wondering how many people are not shooting to match their eye dominance?(Ex. left eye dominant, shooting righty) I'm left eye but have been shooting a bow righty for 5-6 years. Have people switched to match their eye dominance? If so, how long had you been shooting before switching? Did it improve your accuracy?

A good friend switched after many years (20?). It took him a few months to be competent and a couple years to feel real comfortable with it, but is now a better shooter than ever.

I'm left handed, right eye dominant. I shot bow for 4-5 years when I was a kid left handed. Did pretty well in archery leagues that way. I switched to right when I started shooting again a couple years ago, this is after not shooting at all for a little over 10 years. The time gap was pretty long, but I would say I'm more relaxed shooting with my dominant eye. I don't have to over think the sighting and keep telling myself to close my dominant eye.

I've always shot guns right handed, not sure why I was started on a lefty bow?

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I bought a rh bow in high school(1995) and couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it. I didnt shoot for a long time and now getting back into it. I bought a lh bow this spring and it was akward at first drawing the bow, but i shoot ten times better lh vs. rh!

Yes I would say switching would improve your shooting.

My fiance started bowhunting last year. She is left eye dominant and is right handed. We bought her a left hand Diamond Edge and she shoots it very well.

She also wanted to take rifle hunting a little more serious. She used to shoot a 30-30 with open sights right handed and but had a lot of difficulty shooting a scoped rifle left handed or right handed. I read an article in an NRA magazine that gave me the solution.

Here it is, a right handed rifle for a left eyed person smile

You still shoulder the rifle the same and get a good cheek weld, but it is your left eye looking through the scope.

It was something like $20 for the 45 degree mounts.

It is a little off topic but may give you some ideas if you rifle hunt too.

P1100803.jpg

P1100804.jpg

I'm sure its been asked before, but just wondering how many people are not shooting to match their eye dominance?(Ex. left eye dominant, shooting righty) I'm left eye but have been shooting a bow righty for 5-6 years. Have people switched to match their eye dominance? If so, how long had you been shooting before switching? Did it improve your accuracy?

I shot for about 3 years right handed before switching to left to match my eye dominance. Best thing I ever did. If you think about it. Your strongest arm now does the aiming. Best of all worlds if you ask me.

I want to throw a caution out there. When I was a pup, my dad brought me to a bow shop/ range to begin some archery and get into bow hunting. I was handed a pop can and told to look in the can to see if it was a winner by the worker there. I was handed it from his right hand, of course I took it with my left hand and then looked in it with my left eye. While being somewhat ambidextrious (sp?) I am completely right handed. Long story short, I was made to try lefty and hated it, when you are young you need confidence or you dont want to do something. My dad was disheartened that I didnt want to shoot a bow, and I just picked it up now finally - 20 years later and love it - right handed.

Dont force young ones to shoot a certain way, let them tell you what feels right.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant.

I shot long guns right-handed for years but have since taught myself to shoot left-handed and within a year I was shooting MUCH better than I ever had before. As an added bonus I can shoot either way now, which has occasionally been a benefit when hunting out of a tree stand or needing to minimize my movements before taking a shot.

I still shoot a right-handed bow. I was very tempted to go with a left-handed bow last time I bought one, but I stuck with right-hended because the majority of the stands I hunt (my own as well as others) are set up for right-handed shooters. But I think my next bow will be left-handed.

I shoot bow right handed left eye dominant. I have the same concerns as many others do. I won't win any touneyments but I don't think that it has made a difference in the field. I sent a message to Tom Miranda and he said that I should try a hindsight. Ofcouse he is sponsered by them so be sure to put that filter in. I will probably buy one as the cost is much cheaper than a new bow. I just cant see myself switching. If anyone has one I would like to know what your feelings about them are. Their HSOforum says that they work well for crossdominance.

I'm left eye dominant and just switched this year to shooting left hand (I had shot right handed my first 4 years of bowhunting). The main reason I wanted to switch is because I can see better and farther out of my left eye as well. Before, twigs and branches were "dissappearing" in low light conditions when I closed my left eye to shoot right handed. I didn't want this to limit my chance at a trophy buck some day. I know I love to bow hunt and will do it for as long as I can so I decided to make the switch and I am very glad I did. I am already shooting much better left handed than I did right handed...and that's only in the first few months...I know in the long run I'll be much better off. The switch for me was surprisingly not very difficult...a tad awkward at first but now it feels awkward to pick up a right handed bow...so your body does get used to it. I'd say go for it! Make the switch.