• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone having issues with Lakemaster 2009?

92python

Question

I have an older 2006 or so chip but decided to get the 2009 as it has some lakes I fish alot on it. I have noticed that when I am running the boat between spots my H20 can't keep up like it does with the 2006 chip. The update speeds are much slower. I set it up for minimum power save to see if that would help but it didn't.

Any ideas?

19 answers to this question

A lot more data on the 2009 chip is why it is so much slower. I was a little disappointed at first with how slow mine was, but after a while you get used to it. Give it some time, the extra detail to the mapping is worth the slower speed of the unit.

Just had mine out for the first time tonight, I thought the detail was awsome. After fishing for a while I started playing with the gps checking out the detail and decided to check out another area I saw on the map. Had the boat fully planed out before I realized my trolling motor was still down, luckily nothing damaged. I guess I was watching the map a little to close.

I could see how the extra data takes time to load but the 2009 chip effects update time even on lakes that had 1 foot contours on the older chip (Leech, ML, Minnetonka). I can cruise along zoomed out a bit on Minnetonka with 1 foot contours the older chip and the GPS keeps up fine. Slap the new chip in and response time is poor. I think the new chip needs a better GPS processor or more efficient code.

I would contact them and see what they say.

Speed was one of main advantages I saw in using Lakemaster over Navionics. Speed is an issue for me to and if Lakemaster runs as slow as Navionics does on my H2Oc, I would no longer consider Lakemaster my go to choice in data chips.

After hearing this, I'm glad I did my homework and decided to stick with my 2008 LakeMaster chip. Oh, there are a bunch of new Otter Tail and Becker County lakes done in HD on the 2009 chip, but not any must-haves for me.

And, wouldn't zooming IN help with faster re-drawing, rather than OUT? It seems that then you'd be displaying less acreage and therefore fewer features to draw on the screen. I know that -- even with the 2008 chip -- if you are zoomed out far enough that you are displaying an entire HD lake, it takes an extra couple of seconds to draw everything, and then it's all black anyway...

I e mailed them the question regarding update speed and got something to try:

The one main thing that was added to these maps was the

shallow water depth area, this could be causing the slower

drawing speeds. You can turn this layer off on the GPS by

following these directions:

MENU > MAP CATEGORIES DRAWN > WATER > Uncheck Shallow Water Safety Area

There would not be a software update for the GPS unit that

would improve the speed. Turning off this layer should help.

If you have further questions, please contact us.

Best Regards,

LakeMaster Lake Maps

Technical Support Group

You shouldn't have to be on the lake in question to try it out... You should be able to simply scroll over to it on the map and try zooming in and out before and after unchecking the Shallow Water Safety Area option.

You shouldn't have to be on the lake in question to try it out... You should be able to simply scroll over to it on the map and try zooming in and out before and after unchecking the Shallow Water Safety Area option.

Thats fine but I'd like an on the water trial moving 20+, 30+, 40+ or however fast your boat can move seeing if the screen can keep up.

Yeah, I thought of that after posting...

We were biking on the Heartland Trail last Sunday and while traveling along the shore of Leech I didn't notice any problems with the display keeping up while doing 16-18 mph. smile But zooming in and out was considerably slower whenever any HD waters were a part of the display...