• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flippin' Rods

BP21

I am slowly but surley building my rod arsenal. I have everything from cranking rods to xtra light drop shot rods. I just picked up a few new reals from tackle warhouse and need to find a fe new rods to put them on. I have been using my buddies flippin stick latley and need to find one for my self. What does everyone recomend. 7 foot 6inch or 7'11 meadium heavy or heavy fast action, heavy moderate fast action?

What do you guys have in the boat?

I have two mojos right now. I have the wacky spinning rod and I have the crankbait 7 foot moderate action. Both good rods. thought I would try something else. I have all st croix the majority being avids. the two mojos have ipressed me though. Would a medium Heavy do the job in most cases. I feel heavy is going to be too heavy. I like to feel the fish.

MH is adequate in most cases. Every rod company's rods have slightly different actions when you compare brand X to brand Y in MH. I think it is important to have a little give in the tip of a flippin stick for pitching purposes. A rod with a softer tip will let you pitch on a flatter trajectory and therefore get under docks/trees easier than a pool cue heavy rod.

I just picked up a 7'11" MH Fast action Mojo Bass from St. Croix and I really like it! Good quality rod for the price IMO.

ALL IN

Do they make a 7'11 MH Fast Action......I thought the only one was MH moderate fast..If thats the one then does it have enough backbone for heavy cover?

I hate to admit it but I still use the same G@nd$r 7'6" flippin stick I bought 3 years ago. A little heavy but it's as stout as a pool cue and I love it. One thing I like about it compared to the Mojo, is that it's telescoping so I can fit it in my pickup!

Originally Posted By: ALL_IN
I just picked up a 7'11" MH Fast action Mojo Bass from St. Croix and I really like it! Good quality rod for the price IMO.

ALL IN

Do they make a 7'11 MH Fast Action......I thought the only one was MH moderate fast..If thats the one then does it have enough backbone for heavy cover?

I was flippin pads last night and it seemed to have PLENTY of backbone. Nice rod, but takes some getting used to... 7'11" is one long rod!

ALL-IN

Flippin' Rods are why there is a limit of <8foot for BASS tournaments.

Wasn't the father of flippin, Dee Thomas, using a 10' - 12' on the delta back in the day? At that point the <8' limit was put in place, right?

Wasn't the father of flippin, Dee Thomas, using a 10' - 12' on the delta back in the day? At that point the <8' limit was put in place, right?

Yep - Dee Thomas was cleaning house during tournaments on the Cal Delta with 11 and 12 foot rods. His competitors whined to Ray Scott about his having an 'unfair advantage.' (Can you say "sour grapes?") Thomas and Scott negotiated the 8' length limit, and now the only way to get a bass rod longer than 8' is to have it custom built... Silly deal, but that's how it happened.

Having that long of a rod to get in, around, and behind those giant floating tule bogs is an advantage on the CA delta. Dee explained the evolution of the 8' rule to me once when i lived out there. He always came to our smaller team tourneys and hit us up for info.

Quote:
Why was that concidered an unfair advantage? Did the fish only bite because they knew there was a longer rod at the other end of the line? I don't get it, but then again the longest rod I own is 7'2''

I think part of the deal was that it was a cheaper Crappie rod with no reel. Sponsors don't like that sort of thing.

Quote:
Why was that concidered an unfair advantage? Did the fish only bite because they knew there was a longer rod at the other end of the line? I don't get it, but then again the longest rod I own is 7'2''

I think part of the deal was that it was a cheaper Crappie rod with no reel. Sponsors don't like that sort of thing.

Muddog

I've got a hunch that you don't enjoy/embrace the flash, glitter, and glam of the elite series pros and what professional bass fishing in general, has evolved into over the past 10 years. True?