Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim Uran

What vanes to put on

10 posts in this topic

I've got a whisker biscuit and I like the fact I can nock an arrow and not have to worry about the arrow falling of the rest. I don't want to change rests, I want to find a vane that's sturdy enough to hold up to the biscuit.

2nd part of the question, I don't have a place that refletches within 70 miles of my house so I want to buy the gear to do it myself, I shoot carbons, not sure on what vane to slap on my arrows ^^^^ (read the first paragraph). So what kind of vanes and jig/material should I get, with out having to spend a fortune, I've got plenty of time and patience to do this.

Try the blazer vanes they are durable and stiffer then others. As far as a fletching jig I would suggest you spend the money and buy the bitzenburger fletching jig and then pick up some vanes a bottle of rubbing alcohol and I use bohning platnum fletching cement.

I'd suggest Duravanes. They are readily available, not too expensive, and tough.

There are a handful of different fletching tools out there, but the only one I've used, and the one you'll see most pro shops using, is the Bitzenburger fletching tool.

I don't use wraps so I like using Bohning fletch tite platinum. I've found that super glues seem harder to clean off the arrow than fletch tite.

i thought the biscuit would eat up blazers? Thats what i was told when i wanted to put blazers on my old arrows when i still shot with a biscuit

I have been using fusions for vanes. My son has a biscuit and that is what works and stands up the best to the abuse. We have tried blazers but after a while they start to curl. They also fletch awesome to a arrow by the way...I don't think you can beat them. I have been using wraps as well because it is easy to remove with heat and they install easy. The only downfall is that if you want to replace a vane you have to do them all...which is really not at all that bad because it only takes a minute to do all 3 anyways. I would suggest a bitz jig like the others have said...it is the best! Run the fusions or blazers at just a slight offset and you will be golden! I use goat tuff glue but that is my preference...thats up to you. Good luck!

Duravane Fusions are essentially a Blazer, except sturdier. I started shooting them this year and I'm very happy with them.

I think the Blazers are too tall and stiff to shoot through a Whisker Biscuit. I think Metrojoe's Duravane would be a much better choice.

exactly, fusions are like blazers except sturdier and the base is nicer to glue down. With the clear base you can tell if you got good glue coverage or not. Duravanes which are also made by Norway industries come in 3",4",or 5". They are just a plain old vain unlike blazers or fusions. I have not used Duravanes and have no experience with them, but have heard that people like them.

Can't offer much on vanes (I use feather w/launger rest) but you can't beat the Arizona EZ Fletch. Do three vanes at once, no messing around one at a time. Very easy, fast, small.

Can't offer much on vanes (I use feather w/launger rest) but you can't beat the Arizona EZ Fletch. Do three vanes at once, no messing around one at a time. Very easy, fast, small.

2nd on that!! The quickiest fletcher out there.