• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ever see this before?

We were out fishing the other night and seen this moose eating. He was out quite a ways and he would submerge his whole head for about 10 to 15 seconds. I have never seen one that far out into the water before. Has anyone else?

(Sorry the pictures aren't all that great)

1053.jpg

1056.jpg

1049.jpg

Nice pics! Last year i got up early with my granpa and the neighbor to go fishing... i ended up sitting there while they drank coffe and solved the worlds problems... well as i looked out into out bay..(BillHorn Bay on Big Sandy) i said hey look is that a moose?! and sure enough a baby moose had swam all the way across the bay and a big truck came down the hill and the moose turned around and swam all the back to the other side and ran up the hill into the woods. It was the only moose i have ever seen in MN.. the rest i saw in the middle of the road in canada.

Yep, a few times. Had a friend with youthful exuberence (and stupidity) pulled up alongside of a swimming moose and climbed out of his boat an onto it's back. Several tense moments later, bruised and battered, he was able to get out of between the moose and his boat and was pulled into the boat by his future wife!

I think just about every generation of Elyites has at least one fellow who tried the moose-riding stunt. There is an old black and white photo in one of the old Ely history booklets showing a fellow doing that stunt up on Basswood during the early resort years. Many, many attempts to recreate that photo have taken place over the years, most doomed to failure from the get-go, and in at least a couple of those attempts alcohol was a factor. Its the old "here, hold my beer" deal.

If you've ever tried to keep up to a swimming moose while paddling, you realize that those buggers are awfully quick in the water.

I've seen my share of Moose in the water over the years. I've had the opportunity to fly in a float plane several times in the Hudson Bay area. Up there you see a Moose every 10 minutes or so. I happened to run into a pair of Moose in the Nipigon River last year. If any of you guys have ever been on the Nipigon, you can attest to the strong current. It's by far the largest outflow into Lake Superior. Anyways, when I rounded a corner of the river and came across these two guys, they actually turned and swam upstream away from me. Simply amazing. Sorry, but I only had a point and shoot with me that day.

Moose2.jpg

Moose1.jpg