• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone using Vonage

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Question

15 answers to this question

I did use it for two years. The first year was awesome, no problems and crystal clear phone service. Then, I don't know what happened, but the phones would cut out, people wouldn't hear us when we answered and such. Called customer support from over seas and couldn't understand a thing. We would get it to work now and then but couldn't handle it anymore so got rid of it.

I used Vonage for about a year and then flipped over to a different VoIP phone provider-ViaTalk. They are a little cheaper than Vonage and the service is as good. I can relate to the choppy voice quality of VoIP, at times, but the price of about $10/month with all the bells and whistles makes me stay. My local wireline provider (Embarq) wanted about $65/month for the same features. Plus, with VoIP, nationwide LD is no additional charge. With ViaTalk the cost is like $199 per year with an additional 6 months free. I have two lines with them and am adequately pleased.

I currently have it -- have had it for 4 years. I signed up for the 500 minutes/month for $14/month, and have never went over that since we also have cell phones, etc.

It's been great --- I did run into the same type of issue the other guys had -- choppy signal, etc., but called and talked to customer service (could understand him ok)..and he walked me through the trouble-shooting process to determine that my router had went bad. He sent me a new one, free of charge. Fixed the issue --

No complaints -- I even figured out a way to utilize existing phone jacks in the house (which I didn't think was a possibility at first and was disappointed), but turns out it can be done.

I also have and have had it for years. I would recommend it for home use but not sure for business use. If I am downloading anything medium to large, the signal definitely gets choppy. But for the price point, 14.99 - 500 min, you can't beat it. It was also nice when I moved houses. I did not have to call them to reestablish my service, all i had to do is take the router with me and plug it in. Easy as that.

Using the existing phone jacks is a must. I have the router located in my office, plug it into the wall, and now all the phone jacks are live. I had to disconnect the phone line that comes into the house but that was easy.

While I don't like Vonage from my experience, if you can find someone who has it, let them refer you and they will get a month free. Might as well pay it forward wink

Good luck.

I've had it for a few years now and like it. We also have Comcast high speed internet and I've heard that Comcast gives bandwith preference to Comcast VoIP users over Vonage users. If you ever have a bad connection or get static, you can usually hang up and call back and it's fine.

I have been using ATT Voip for the past three years. I did have issues but after replacing the telephone atapter a year ago it's been fine since. No voice issues. The only issues have been with my internet service provider. Another story.

Used it...Had to cancel the service, and they kept taking money out of my account..( different amounts every month )..for about 5 months..Did'nt notice till my account came back overdrawn..Tryed to resolve it and get my money back they took from me...Hours on customer service with a different response every time..They finally wore me down and I gave up...Unbelievably bad customer service!!!

Take a look at ooma, inc (ooma.com). I have had for a few months now and works just like my old Qwest line. No monthly fees just have to buy the hardware. Base package has voicemail, caller id and comes with 3000 minutes per month outgoing anywhere in the US. You can upgrade to 2 lines and their Premier service for $99/yr and comes it with additional features like multi ring and call forwarding. Nice for teenagers or spouses that use the phone a lot. Just pick up another phone and you have a dial tone. I have been really happy with it. Shop around for the hardware. I got it for $219 plus a free ipod. I got this since I lost my job and was trying to cut all bills. It has already paid for itself for us.