• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what do you pull your boat with?

jwmiller33

05 Trailblazer or 01 Seirra, the V8 beats the V6 in towing milage. Get around 10-12 towing with the 05, 15+ depending on wind and how heavy my foot is in the 01. Boats are either a 83 Alumacraft Trophy 175 or an 05 17' Tracker Targa. Honestly my V8 beats the wifes V6 in all around milage.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also consider the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon. I was looking at those when I was in the market a few months ago. The new ones with the 3.7 I-5 gets over 20 on the highway 17-18 city, and they have a ton more power than the original 3.5 I-5 they had in 04-06. You can also get it in the 5.3 liter 300hp. Its worth a look at.

I have an 02 ford ranger, its 2wd. But really thats the only thing i would change about the truck I absolutley love it. I get around 18-19mpg and around 16 when im pulling the boat. During waterfowl season I can just throw the jon boat in the back.

Disclaimer - I don't own one of these, but they just really peak my curiosity: I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Kia Sorento. The LX gets 20 MPG highway has a 5000 lb tow cap and 260 HP for a 4400 pound curb weight and a rack/pinion, and its body on frame construction with relatively beefy suspension and running gear for its class, and will take a class 3 receiver hitch. You can find 2008 LX 4x4's loaded for $17k with less than 20M. I have no idea what they get towing.

To answer the question, I have a 99 silverado z71 for pullin and 4wheelin and a 97 lumina for jus' drivin. My stuff runs forever sometimes. Since I have the truck and its paid I'll keep it a long time now, it gets 18 hwy and 12 towing, but if I were shoppin today I'd be lookin at one of these Sorentos. They also sell a 2.5L diesel in non-US markets that makes these things into work mules and hwy fuel sippers (35 mpg), same chassis.

I have a 2000 Durango 4.7 with all time AWD, my MPG's suck and they are even worse towing. I just had it on a trip to Red Lake Falls MN and I avg about 16.8 MPG not towing over 608 miles. Now if I put my 17.5 with a 115 HP behind it, I drop down to 10-11 MPG and I really know it's there. I had the truck before the boat, but when it comes time to replace it I will be looking at 2 vehicles, an F150 or the Titan.

For your application I would recommend the Pilot or the Ridgeline, 5000# towing capacity and comfortable, plus let's be honest it's a Honda that thing will run forever. My wife has an 06' Honda Odyssey Touring (same engine as the Pilot and Ridgeline) this has everything but the trailer hitch, if it did I would have tried towing to see.

Good luck on your quest.

Sandman - what size boat are you towing with your Rango?

RU

just for the record, i got a ford ranger last week. i have been fishing almost everyday since and pulling my boat all over duluth each day, going up and down the hill. i just finished going thru the first full tank and calculated my exact MPG by using the miles on the trip odometer, and it came out to 21.1 MPG! I am extremely impressed. That includes some driving around city to and from work not pulling the boat, but 75% of the driving on that tank was pulling my 16 ft Lund.

A bunch of you guys said I was going to be getting 12-13 mpg with the ranger pulling my boat and i ended up getting 21! What a difference! i guess thats why you can only trust the stuff you look up online to a certain extent.

Let's face it boating season around here is relatively short...

I have been on Rainy River as early as April 4th and on various other lakes as late as November (I was on Johnson lake south of Ely November 6th last year). Boating season could be 3/4 of the year for me grinlaughgrinwink.