• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My boat hit the sand/small rock accidently

Minnesocold

Hi guys,

Today I was at Prior Lake with my boat. When I was running slow, my boat accidently hit the sand/small rock(1-4 inches rocks), and I shut the engine off right away. After my boat moved away from that shallow area, I was able to start the engine just fine but the propeller doesn't spin. Plus while the engine still running, I also shifted to forward/reverse but the propeller just doesn't spin. Any ideas what was happened on my motor ? Thanks.

Sounds like a problem in the lower unit - either a complete failure or a loose connection to the shift rod.

Before I would take it in, I would pull the hood off and verify that when you shift the motor on the controls that the connection that the shift cable connects to works.

I'd also recruit someone to run the shifter while you rotate the prop by hand... can you hear anything, or does it engage?

marine_man

Sounds like a shear pin. Remove the cotter key and pull the prop off.You probably have 2 or 3 pieces of shear pin that will fall out. You simply slip the shear pin into the hole in the prop shaft, carefully replace the prop and secure with the cotter pin. Sometimes a piece of the pin is stuck in the shaft, but I've never had a problem tapping that part out.

That was around the era slip-clutches started showing up, but I recall changing out the shear pins on OMC through about 1976.

With a shear pin motor, you should always have a couple of spares and an extra cotter pin taped to the handle of the motor.

sorry marine man could not resist the comment/joke about doing it with the motor off. You and i both know of folks that would consider doing it while running and end up with the tips of a couple digits flying off.

its most likely a spun hub because that year of jhonsons have a splined shaft so the shear pin would do nothing but hold it on..

My exploded views show a shear pin - regardless, check for a spun hub or a sheared shear pin.

marine_man

I've found out that my shear pin was broken. I bought a new one (copper), replaced it and it was broken again after couple hours of testing on the lake, this time I did not hit any rocks or weeds. I think I'm going to buy a stainless steel this time instead. Thanks a lot for your helps.

Not all shear pins are created equal. You definitely want those suckers to break when they need to - but breaking just because it is under normal load is not good.... If you were to hit a rock or something without a functioning shear pin, you'll probably snap the shaft or something equally awful.

Just a little "emergency tip" for you. If you don't have an extra shear pin and are stuck miles from home/landing, rearrange the pieces of the busted shear pin (the center section is different length than the two ends) and put them back in carefully. It does work - at least for a while.