• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac Seul Fishing Reports

Thats canada for ya. It was a fairly educated estimate we tried to calculate half drunk, but I thought it made sense. 13 guys times over 100 walleyes apiece per day times 3 days = ~4500. Plus we fished for a couple hours the day we got there to add to the total. It was a darn good time.

That is my SHS math though so who knows wink

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those numbers were estimated for 4 boats in 3 days which would be 125 walleyes a day per person....maybe a little high but if fishing real hard you could come close to those numbers but if you have had a 100 fish day you know how hard it is to do!

I've been back for about a week now from our trip we had a awesome trip. No where near the numbers of fish Winnie described but whe had good fishing no one complaining in my crew. We had our best fishing in Vaughan Lake we also had good fishing in Bray as well. We had plenty fish for supper every night and brough home our limit. We had some rain lost only about 1.5 hours due to rain/t storm.

Just got back from Ear Falls and fishing was not great compared to Lac Seul standards, but still way better than anything in MN. They just had the mayfly hatch right before we got there on the 18th, and water temps were still cool, and with all of the rainy weather they've had, weed growth was behind schedule. We had to work hard to catch even half of our limit of eaters on fish nights and thank goodness half of our group had conservation licenses, or it would have been even more work on the last day to fill out.

Had about equal success on worms and minnows, although the fish were more aggressive on the minnows, worms required a bit more patience. Tried Gulp Alive 3" pearl minnow grubs and had limited success. I think in better years it would have been OK, but this year was definitely a live bait slow bite.

Resorts are slow up there, so if you're thinking of going, you might be able do a little wheelin and dealin instead of them letting their cabins sit empty. Fishing should pick up pretty soon, we even noticed an upswing toward the end of the week.

We took two houseboats out of Lac Seul Floating Lodges in Hudson, Ontario. We left last Sunday and got back Sunday, July 26th. Before we left, forecast temps were for mid 70's and a day or two of rain. I think we had high 60's for highs and rain everyday. Thunderstorms would roll in and out during the afternoon.

Walleye fishing this year was outstanding. We head up to Sen Bay (SE corner) of the lake and park on an island w/ sand beach. We found our fish off of points, working the breaks from 10-23FOW. We also found fish on humps or flats (whatever you want to call them) coming out of 35-40FOW with the flat topping out around 23FOW. We mainly pulled lindy's (red hooks, w/ red bead and leach). That worked well for my boat but others in our group used the same lindy's with minnows. Lots of 20+ fish, lots of slot fish and many smaller fish. It's amazing to see all the different sizes in that lake.

I didn't fish much during the afternoons due to the cool weather, winds and rain. We did get out 4-5 times in the evenings and either bobber fished or went casting for walleye,pike,smallies. The two biggest pike of the trip were 38 and 37"! Biggest walleye was 28".

There were some mayflies, but I wouldn't say a hatch was going on while we were there. Water temps were cool (64.7-65.1) according to my Lowrance 332c.

Looking forward to heading up there again next year!

Got back yesterday evening from another awesome trip to Lac Seul. Went to the Chamberlain Narrows area from Thursday-Sunday. Thursday we went to Wapesi Bay and caught a ton of fish for only about half a day of fishing. We fished the Three Sisters Reef area on Friday and had decent luck on some spots around there, but the action wasn't as good as Wapesi. Then we went to Scaler Lake on Saturday and fished the main island there as that's all there really is to fish there. We caught a ton of fish there too and they were really nice sized fish too! Scaler produced alot of slot fish which were fun to catch and Scaler produced the most 16-17" walleyes that were perfect for take homes. Then we had some slight motor troubles so we stayed close to camp on Sunday and went out to the Three Sisters area again and fished the same spots we did on Friday. Those spots prodeced better fish than the other day I would say. We had the best luck making drifts and passes along islands. Mid-lake structures didn't seem to be holding as many fish. We were told that the walleyes hadn't really moved out into the main lake as it has been a really cool summer for them. The baits of choice were minnows and crawlers and we even caught plenty of fish on Gulp minnows. There seemed to be no preference on crawlers or minnows. Both seemed to work at almost all times. We didn't buy any leeches because we were told minnows were the way to go. We tried some Gulp leeches and had very little success on those. Jig heads were basically the only tackle we used. The main color was chatruse(spelling??) or some mixture of that. Almost any bright color seemed to produce fish. We tried Lindy Rigs and I caught fish on it, but the fish seemed to be attacking it and they would have in inhaled deep in their throats when I got them in the boat. It was no fun to do minor surgery on the poor things every time I reel one in. So it's not to say Lindy Rigs won't produce fish, it was just difficult to release them sometimes. Like, I stated earlier, we fished mostly off of islands and we caught fish in and where from 10-27 fow. We would make some drifts that would start out in about 17 fow and we would be ready to give up on the drift when we hit 25 or 26 fow and all of a sudden we would start catching fish again. We had beautiful weather and had almost no wind while we were up there. It was almost too nice as we could have used a little wind to push some water around and use the wind to make drifts, but you won't hear me complain about not having wind as it was great for boat control and staying on structure. Great trip for us and good luck to anyone going up there any time soon as we thought the fishing was top notch as usual!

Heading up for the annual family trip next week and wondering about water levels and how fishing has been. We stay at Mahkwa Lodge and have been for years. Looking forward to another great trip. Does anyone know if the water is up/down this year in that area? Have the fish been biting? Thanks in advance!

My dad is on his way back from up there right now...I will post tom. how he did.......You shouldn't have to drive to far for big fish especially northerns!!

i am sorry as I know this is late but my old man said the water levels seemed down a bit this year and the big fish areas just weren't producing as normal but they still found fish

Live from Lost Lake in Hudson Ontario. Gateway to Lac Seul: Sunday 6/25/11:

Just arrived at Lost Lake in Hudson today. Got a few hours on the water. Surprised to find water temperatures on Lost Lake at 72.5 degrees. Water level is about 2 feet lower than last year at this time.

Only fished the Lost Lake area and found fishing to be slower than past years, although this year we came a week later. Nobody appears to be fishing the area. Caught most of our fish in 19-20 feet. Did not mark a lot of fish so we need to do some hunting tomorrow and will head up the Lake to Taylor Island area. Fish definately do not appear to be in shallow water, although today was fairly calm and hot.

Caught a coupe of nice 27" fish today. Hope tomorrow we can get on them!

Day 2 out of Lost Lake: Traveled up the Lake today to Taylor Island area after some dismal fishing on Lost Lake yesterday. Water temps up the lake around 66 degrees. Fished some of our old haunts around Taylor but found fishing again to be slow. Did not surprize us as the boat traffic in the area was also down and only one houseboat tied up in the area. Found it hard to mark and find fish. Winds from the S-SW although manageable. Forecast talked about rain but we never saw it.

The fish that we did find were very slow and would barely grab onto much of anything. Might just suck it in a bit and hold on. Our best bet was to go with a plain hook and a half a nightcrawler or leech. We do not use minnows.

Found one spot in the McKlean Narrows area where we picked up 12 fish with most of them in or above the slot. A guy could move around and pick up a few here and there but nothing hot. Got one 27-1/2 before lunch.

Found a spot further southwest after lunch and picked up about 50 in one area that was around 6 feet deep but most were small.

Moved on later in the afternoon and found a spot were we got into some nicer fish in the current. 10' to 15 feet and finished out our day with 100 fish for the 3 of us. The other boat with two guys had 45 for the day.

General impression: fish are slow, nothing flashy works right now, need to work hard to find them. Not much for boats around. Water two feet lower than last year at this time.

Tomorrow rain forecast for all day. Will fish local in Lost Lake region, with Bloody Marys and fish soup for lunch.

Day 3 - Lost Lake Report: Fishes locally in Lost Lake area today, forecast was for rain but again we did not see any until later in the day, Found one area where fishing was good from 7AM to about 9AM. After that fish slowed down. Cut up 12 for fish soup for lunch and slamed um down with a big batch of Bloodys. Went up the river in the afternoon and did OK but not as well as yesterday. Again bare hook was the best although worms and leaches did about the same.

Ended up the day with 112 for boat #1 and 77 for boat #2. Biggest fish for the day was 25-1/2" and a good bunch in or above the slot.

Forecast for tommorow sunny with little wind. Need to get out early and try and hammer them before 10 AM AGAIN.

Hey Scon

Just got back, all the short cuts are open for both the Blue boats and the brown boats

The water is down 18"-24" from what I saw.

Bite was good, however with the NE wind the smoke from the Souix Lookout fire was bad!

Have fun!