• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

115 etec H.O. or suzuki 140

fishhawk1750

i didnt really keep track

i know it wasnt 50 to one i have 44 gal tank and know i put 2 tanks for sure maybe 3 in and i like i said i just read something that they can tune it different to use less oil i hafta check into that more

How many gallons of fuel would that be to your "one gallon" of oil?

Your season and my season might not be the same. I thought Opti-max's took about 1 gallon of oil every 50 gallons of gas, which is obviously 50:1 gas/oil mixture. I'm guessing the E-Tec's are better. Anyone?

I didn't keep track of how many gallons of gas I used, but I know it was well over fifty. I averaged about 100 hrs on the motor the past three years.

Although I own neither I've talked to a Merc dealer, Honda and a Yamaha dealer. All have a huge respect for the Suzuki 4 strokes and may have even said they wouldnt blame a person for going with the Suzuki. 140 Suzuki has an excellent reputation!

Go with the Suzuki.

My only problem I've had since switching to the suzuki 140 is the nasty noise the starter makes when you try to start it when its already running. I seriously had to get in the habit of putting it in gear quick to check if its running before hitting the ignition because I couldn't hear it running if there was any background noise(wind, radio, or talking). I know a lot of the 4 strokes and the E-tech are quiet, but I wasn't used to it moving from a 2 stroke.

What a terrible problem to have eh JeffB? ha!

I've done the same thing.

Fired my 140 up last night with the garden hose attached, and it fired up just like it would've if I had been running it that day.

So just to put the oil/E-Tec thing to bed, it burns closer to 100:1 ?

That's funny JeffB, I've done that a few times too. When I purchased my boat at the show, they had a 140 running in a tank. Until you turned around and saw the water moving, you had know idea a motor was running right next to you. They are VERY quiet. I had some sort of hustler prop on it. I would go stainless instead also. It was a crestliner 1850 and the 140 pushed it at around 42 mph, downhill, with the wind.

ya my e tec isnt that quiet and i like quiet

i jump a guy out on the one day he had a yamie or honda cant reember i hook the cables to my boat told him go ahead try it

he said its runnin lol mines ok better than old 2 strokes

but thos 4 strokes win on that hands down

I have a similar situation. I'm deciding between the Suzuki 140 and Yammy or Suzuki 150 for my next boat. From what I've heard here is that it's more than a 10 hp difference. Is the extra money worth it to go with the 150? I don't want to feel underpowered at all. My current boat is way underpowered and don't want to have to deal with that again. BTW the boat will be an Alumacraft Dominator Sport. Already got that part picked out, just not the power plant to run it. Sorry to hijack the post, but didn't think it warrented starting a new one since there is so much good feedback here already.

I'm just passing along info here but this is from a guy that's been in the business for 20 years and had no reason to lie...when I was looking at a new rig I was trying to decide between the Suzuki 140, the Yamaha 150 and a 150 Opti. Here was his explanation:

Suzuki - best trolling motor, it will troll down slower than either of the other two, but lacked the top end speed. Now reading its really closer to a 120 that does make sense.

Optimax - Best hole shot and fastest motor but will have a harder time trolling down, obviously louder because it is a two stroke.

Yamaha - Kind of in the middle. Won't troll down as good as the suzuki but will be faster, won't be as fast as the opti but will be quieter.

I don't think you can go wrong with either motor, all the new motors made today I think are pretty strong. My buddy has an etec, granted its a 250 but he likes it. His first one did blow a power head but it was replaced with warranty.

I can guarantee that if you put either a Yamaha 150 or a Suzuki 150 on an Alumacraft 175 Dominator Sport, you will not be underpowered. I don't know how fast you plan on moving and I know that 150 will max the HP on that boat, but that's more than plenty for that boat.

Both the Yamaha and Suzuki 150s are "strong" 150HP engines. Yes, the lower unit gearing is different between the two, but because of this you'll swing a larger diameter and higher pitched prop on the Suzuki, so trolling speeds really won't be much different. If you want to go slow, plan on a good trolling motor, kicker, or a couple of trolling bags.

I don't have any experience with the Suzuki 140 or 150, but I know the Yamaha 150 well and am currently running the Suzuki 175, which is the same block as the 150. No matter what your choice, you won't be disappointed with any of them.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not worried that the 150's would feel underpowerd at all. I was just wondering if I'd ever feel underpowered with the 140 if I have 4 (big) people in the boat. If I went with the 150, I'm prepared to get a kicker to go with it.

I don't know what your boat is hunterjoe but if the max hp for it is 150 like my 1700 lund fisherman I dont think you would feel under powered, unless you are going to pull a big skier out of the water with 4 large adults in the boat. With 4 people in the 200-240 lb class my boat will do about 42 and get on plane pretty fast. The fastest I have had it is 45 by the gps. A friend of mine has the verado 150 on the sam boat and it goes about 51 mph. I can troll down between 1.4 and 1.8 mph. I don't even know what prop I have on the boat since it good enough for me all I can tell you is it aluminum. I like my suzi but I don't want to race 150 2 stroke or a verado.

I have the Suzuki 140 on a Lund 1800 Fisherman. Rated for a 175.

We have an island and have to get everything in the boat, because two trips isn't feasable.

5 people, propane tanks, fuel, luggage, etc. Then we have to work to get it up on plane. (Usually someone heads to the bow and then she comes down)

Aside from that, 3 guys fishing, livewells full, etc, no problemo!

Hey Fishhawk,

Congrats on the new boat. I'm sure you'll love it! You'll have to let me know how you like the boat/motor combo. That's almost the same boat I'm planning on getting. Except I'm going to get the full WS. I'd like to know how the 140 runs the boat.