• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV tires..."take-off's" vs. "new"

thorski

I need a new/better set of tires for my 4 wheeler. I am pondering purchasing a set of brand new "take-off's" to save some money. I had a person tell me to never purchase a set of take-off's because the tires can be damaged very easily when trying to dismount them from the original rims. He said it is a 50/50 shot on whether you can save the tire or not. Does anyone have any experience with this? What are some of your opinions? Should I stay away from "take-off's" and just bite the bullet and get brand new tires?

Thanks.

I have had to fix several nail hole in tires over the years, once was when the originals were new. I watched them take off the tire it never caused a problem and did'nt look bad. I know if you do it yourself with tire irons they are a bugger. It may occasionaly happen that one gets damaged, but I would think much less than 50%.

I have had to switch tires back and forth on my rims several times throughout the race season and have never had any issues with them. As long as they are removed using a tire machine they should be just fine.

I agree, if properly dismounted and mounted you should be fine. Personally though, if you are trail riding, etc... I would bit the bullet and at least buy and aftermarket tire with more ply than what stock tires have. All stock tires are usually 2 ply and in some ways arent very safe to ride on depending on your riding style.

You can always buy a set of used aftermarket tires also...

There are some great aftermarket tires out there that will last. I've had a set of Kenda Bearclaws and AMS Swamp Fox tires on past machines. For the price, performance and durability you can't go wrong.

I will second the AMS swampfox comment!! GREAT tire for the money!! They are heavy,but they wear great and will get you through anything !!! My current set has 3000 miles on them with at least half tread left.

we have an 04 rancher with 6300 miles and the Bridgestone Dirt Hooks that came stock are still on there and the fronts are probably 30% and the rears 50% I don't think that is to bad for stock tires,and thats tar/gravel/and ditch/trail ridin

I have a Polaris Sportsman 500. This is my first ATV. I bought it "used" knowing it needed new tires. I intend on doing mostly trail riding, maybe a little mudding, but not much.

I have decided to get new aftermarket tires so it is just a matter of deciding what brand of tire and tread pattern. Cost is an issue as well. ITP "Mud-lites" have been recommended to me. I have looked at the "swampfox" tires, they look good as well.

What is everyone's opinion on oversized tires?

Thanks.

I would go with a 26" tire. I have had mudlites and they arent bad for the money. A few good ones to get if you are trying to be cost effective are: Maxxis Zillas, Innova MudGears, Swampwitch, ITP Mudlites, and Interco Swamplites. If you go on the net you can usually find a descent deal on one of these brands. From what I have seen and heard the Maxxis Zilla is a really good all around tire. Its trail friendly, does well in the mud, very tough, and is the lightest out of the bunch. You probably wont notice a power loss with these like a few other ones.

Another excellent tire would be the Maxxis Bighorns. A little more pricey, but hold up great and are one of the best snow tires on the market right now. But what they make up for in the snow, they'll lose on the ice.