• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is title insurance for?

Redlantern

They collect money from you, so good for them... wink

Hopefully Jackpine Rob can answer for us, as he knows his stuff and can answer in regular language. He explained to me at our closing, but I can never remember it correctly.

From what I recall, they do their best to make sure title is "clear" but I am pretty sure they don't actually "warranty" it, possibly I am wrong. It is silly that we have to do this when refinancing especially, when the property hasn't changed hands.

Box is on it....Title insurance protects buyer/owner and the lender in the event that something shows up on title that the title company didn't find when doing a title search/title exam.

The reason I ask is the land I bought near Grand Marais needs to be resurveyed. I guess when it was done a hundred years ago it was inaccurate. Now the landowners in the section being surveyed are required to pay for it. Just wondering if the title insurance would cover this cost or is it just one of those things that I need to pay for.

From what i understand the insurance should cover it. Because you buy the ins for the reason if anything got over looked during the deed search ins kicks in. To Cover the cost if something was overlooked or someone once had a lien on the place that never got settled up. I think that is how it was worded to me if i understood correctly but its been a few months since then.

I bet the ins will not cover a true survey. Reason why, the insurance is more a guesstimate, IMHO. I got the title companies drawing when I did my most recent, and it was just a drawing, not a true survey, and they usually don't even give you that.

Ask specific questions though, as I am often wrong wink

I can also tell you this, you really need it when you need it. When we purchased our first home of course we had title insurance. Well, 5 yrs later we go to sell and the RE agent goes, wheres the abstract? We were like, whats an abstract? We didnt have it, the bank never had it, the RE agent had never seen it, the lawyer you have to use didnt have it. The title insurace company end up buying another one, $750. Then 3 yrs later the lawyer calls me and tells me to come get my abtract because he was cleaning out his office when he was retiring and found the thing. I gave it to the RE agent. When I came in the door, the first thing out of his secretarys mouth was the name of the lawyer. I dont know whatever happened but I bet someone wasnt happy.