• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV WITH TRACKS

Cowdy

I was out fishing last weekend and was stopped by the DNR.

He proceeded to tell me that my ATV with tracks needed to be registured differently than with the wheels?

I'v never heard this from anyone in or outside this site. Has anyone else heard of this???

KC

I've never heard of a CO giving anyone trouble about tracks before either. Not on public waters.

Technically, they wouldn't be an ATV with tracks as the definition states they're equipped with flotation tires. Just another oversite when the laws were written.

My guess is they would need to be registered as an OHV.

He first asked if I had been given any trouble about the tracks on my wheeler.

I replied "no".

He then proceeded to tell me that since the wheeler didn't have wheels (which he said would make it float, I doubt that) that it needed to be registured as an off road vehicle. Are not all wheelers registered as an off road vehicle? He told me I better check into it.

I was fishing by Hutchinson MN last weekend on lake "Willie".

Thanks for all your replies.

KC

I'm guessing some of you never rode the old 3 wheelers down into the water and then on top of the water? The oldies with the balloon tires would drive right on water.

I watched a friends 450 Foreman go through the ice and stayed floating,(upside down) for plenty long enough to get it pulled back out.

So yes, they do float at least somewhat.

I Emailed the DNR about Tracks on a Class 1 ATV and was told that I don't need any other license for it, But you still can't run on snowmobile trails witch is fine with me. My wheeler is so slow with tracks on it that it would not be much fun anyway.