• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

before I bring my boat in......

setterguy

Tried getting the boat going Sunday, didn't spit any water so figured it was an impeller problem. Well after some hassles the impeller is replaced and I still have no water coming out...my only guess is that there is a clog in the water line somehow. It isn't even getting any water up to the motor, as I couldn't feel any pressure on the tube inside the motor. If the clog is somewhere in the "upline" I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and bring it in. Just thought I would check to see if I'm missing something easy that I could try.

Thanks.

Setterguy-

Couple things-check your stream line- that may be plugged. If the impeller was replaced it will be pumping water to the motor. If you have an air compressor shoot air backwards thru your stream line- you should be able to hear and feel the air coming out.

Run the motor again and check the exhaust--there should be water coming out- if not you may have a break in the feed.

Good luck.

No, it's just an indicator that your impeller is working. My Mercury 60 would clog up a lot fishing these sloughs around here in the late summer. I'd use the wire on a bottom bouncer to clear it out for a while but eventually it'd clog again after a few trips.

Are you running it in your driveway with water muffs? Seems like a lot of times these don't provide enough water for the tell-tale stream to flow???? As mentioned earlier most of the water comes out of the exhaust through the prop.

Or did you have it in water and still not get any tell-tale stream?

Possible, since most water pumps are now a high volume, if you have real low water pressure/volume in your area, there may not be enough flow... Setterguy- Have you felt the top part of the block to see if it is cooling or not?

Yes I am just running it in the driveway, it does seem like most of the water just runs out the side...I guess I could try the garbage can full of water trick first....

Boatfixer - No I haven't felt the top of the block, I'm nervous to let it run too long. I've only let it run for 30 seconds at a time. I was told that any more than that can wreck the impeller if it isn't sucking water and after what I went through I don't want to have to do it again.

thanks again guys, what a great resource this is for morons like me.

What motor? Are you SURE you got the lower unit aligned perfectly to get the tube connected up top?

Also, on larger motors it takes some time before pee indicator will start peeing. i.e. 30 seconds would not be long enough on our 150efi.

I'd do like Boatfixer reccomended and feel the top of the block. If it's getting hot (a relative term, I know, but if you can't keep you finger on it for 4-5 seconds) then I'd say you have a problem.

You have a 150 4-stroke, right? I'm pretty sure those have thermostats in them, and won't start running water through the telltale indicator until the thermostat opens.

Is there any water coming through the prop hub? How about out the back exhaust ports?

marine_man

setterguy,

A couple other thoughts would be that if your motor has a thermostat, it won't kick out water until it reaches a running temperature. I had that happen a couple years ago with a new boat.

What motor do you have?

Also, I forget if you said you replaced the impeller but if you did, are you sure you have the new impeller turned or bent in the correct direction?

edit..sorry, I see others posted the some thing while I was typing.

ccarlson

You have a 150 4-stroke, right? I'm pretty sure those have thermostats in them, and won't start running water through the telltale indicator until the thermostat opens.

marine_man

And there may not be enough water supply/pressure from the garden hose to push the poppet valve open to bypass the thermostat.

Let it run longer. My Opti won't start "peeing" until the thermostat opens. I have the smartcraft gauges so I can watch the water temp climb and as soon as it gets to operating temp the thermostat opens. Before that there is still water exiting the exhaust through the prop so I know the engine is getting cooled.

You guys blow me away with your prompteness and knowledge on these forums...

Yes I did make sure it was turned the right way, and everything is lined up correctly. I know this because I ended up doing it twice.

Maybe I need a better set of ear muffs, when I turn it on it seems most of the water just runs out the sides. I will try it today again, and see what happens. I will feel the top of the block and watch for water coming out of the exhaust as well. Having a temp gauge would be a good idea, maybe that is something I should look into.

It has been fairly cool when I've tried this as well, maybe the thermostat hasn't opened yet.

Thanks again. I really truly appreciate it.

How long can I let it run before doing harm? I'm just so nervous to run it and over heat it...

That about right. But, everyone's will likely be different based on where the water tube is tapped in, the gauge, etc.

The big thing is to watch it for consistency after you've established that it's ok. If yours drops from 8 at idle to 4, you've got a problem.

marine_man

That about right. But, everyone's will likely be different based on where the water tube is tapped in, the gauge, etc.

The big thing is to watch it for consistency after you've established that it's ok. If yours drops from 8 at idle to 4, you've got a problem.

marine_man

Thanks marine_man, I think i'm gonna get the impeller changed then.

I would rather pay the dealers guys to do these. Then if it don't work you can go back to them. They get trained for this stuff, plus I can have them pressue test under unit. Don't to have that go down, Oz. over a ton of cure.