• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late winter tree trimmers

Tom7227

Over the past two weekends we've had crews coming through the neighborhood looking to trim or drop trees. I'm leery of doing business with them mainly cause it seems like they always come from 50+ miles away. The recent crew had a lot of nice equipment and seemed competent. I live near a lake and there are lots of trees around here. Do they concentrate in areas like this where they figure folks have the bucks to get it done or what? No offense to anyone but I'm not sure I'd want to have to chase to Zumrota or Pine City if they dropped a tree on my house.

Anyone else have this going on around their place?

The tree guys that I deal with wait until they get called to give an estimate.

I suppose some of them figure a) homeowners may not even notice they need trees trimmed or they're diseased (although it would be somewhat hard to tell a diseased tree this time of year) B) if they have the equipment with them, they don't have to come back with it.

There's always the chance they were already working right up the street and am looking for a job in the area to finish out the day.

But then again, maybe they're the same guys in the fall driving around with said tree still in the back of the truck trying to sell it as firewood?

I'm sure Powerstroke will have an opinion.

I just has a tree taken out by one of them. It was in a pretty safe location in my yard and there wasn't anything to hit if they messed up. They had done some of my neighbors trees first and did okay. Price was good and they cleaned up after themselves. My wife hired one a few years ago when I wasn't home and got taken. They did a minimal amount of work and left. Best bet is to let the neighbors hire them first.....

I have my opinion about the company I worked for, but one thing positive I will say is that we did not solicit work from non-customers.

Not all outfits that go door-to-door are fly-by-nighters, but most of them are looking to make a quick buck and move on.

This time of year is very tough. 90% of your winter work was scheduled earlier in the winter so you can finish the year strong and so you have plenty to do before it gets too cold or snowy. Now you've got a few jobs dropping in. Companies are hoping to hear from people who need trees done before spring and those who just got rebate checks and finally have the cash to get some work done.

With gas prices low again, its very easy for outfits to travel around to solicit work. It only takes one or two jobs to make a day or a week.

If you think you might want to hire a company that is coming door to door, ask for more information. Ask for an estimate in writing and it should be on a company form with phone numbers. Call them and double check. If it rings to the cell phone of the guy you're talking to, ask for the office number. You should ask about insurance, licensing and/or bonding. Ask if anyone is a certified arborist? If they aren't from your city, ask them why they are in the neighborhood? Who are they working for? I would be suspicious of companies who are out trolling for people at home. There are ways to verify qualified companies that do good work.

Don't sign anything unless you will hire them and don't pay anything in advance. Ask them to send you a bill.

They are opportunistic because it works. If it works for you and they appear to check out, then its not a bad deal.

If they look shady, act shady or pressure you, tell them NO. Most cities have rules about soliciters. You also should never feel pressured or threatened. If they do call 911.

Well said, Powerstroke. I personally know some small guys that do use door-knocking as way of getting business, and they are good people that do quality work. Unfortunately, I have also met with a lot of prospective clients that found out the hard way that not everyone is legit.

I have been in the game for 30 years. I have worked for the same metro tree company for 22 years. Other than walk ups or storm related work we have never went door to door. About 95 % of our business comes from either the Yellow Pages or on line advertising. We always show a copy of our insurance and our licenses are plainly attached to all our vehicles. Most cases a down payment isn't required however there are some circumstances when you just know you better get more then a signed contract. All payments are due when work is completed and people are 100% satisfied. That being said there are many that play with a whole set of different rules or at least try to. Good luck! I always tell people the two businesses that would make me cringe if I had to hire one would be Tree Trimmers and Roofers!

WS

I've spent 10 years int he landscaping/tree care industry. I've never worked for any company that goes door knocking or storm chasing for work. I was told by the owner of a company that does a significant amount of storm chasing, their rates are about 25% higher when they go storm chasing.

The worst part is that company butchered my neighbors tree, total destabilizing it, taking out huge limbs they shouldnt have. We a storm came through and they company came back to her without being called. The tree blew apart and they nailed her for huge pile to take it down.

Like has been said before, make sure your tree care company is fully licensed and insured. The uninsured and unlicensed guys can always provide a lower bid because they don't have the license and insurance fees. They also usually don't have the proper gear and experience.

So the guy without any front teeth who couldn't remember that he'd met me walking my dog 15 minutes earlier, and who then came to my front door 3 hours later claiming to be looking for someone else's keys wasn't the kind of guy I should be working with??

I have to laugh at the people who jump on this type of thing expecting to save bucks and never thinking about the downsides of ruined trees, ruined yards or worse.