• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some Kind of Carp I Think

With were the eyes are thats got to be one of those bigheads. In the new regs book it says if you catch one to notify the DNR of the location you caught it. Then tell me where so I can hook into one of them thats a sweet fish in my book. Congrats

Can't wait till their swimming in these waters I've heard they are a blast. I know their exotic and we don't want them here and all that but if gives me a tight line and a bend in the pole i'll be smiling.

i think the big head will be fine. and not make to much of an impact in the ecosystem on the mississippi. but if the silver carp get up here, the ecosystem will be basically destroyed. not to mention the on the water recreation will basically stop as well

btw they are filter feeders. basically the only way to catch them is to snag them

i think the big head will be fine. and not make to much of an impact in the ecosystem on the mississippi.

how can you say that? We do not want any invasives swimming in our waters period. They all affect the ecosystem one way or another. The bighead will eat forage that would otherwise be available to other native species. Those species may not be top level predators, but it eventually all trickles down, or in this case, from the bottom up. Decreased forage availability due to an influx of invasive species is never a good thing. This could lead to population crashes of certain fish species, or other non-fish species. To say bigheads won't have a negative impact is being obtuse. There is a reason the MN DNR wants you to reports these fish immediately, and why it is prohibited to return these fish to the water. They don't want them here.

sure they may give a good tug on the other end of the line, but at what cost is it worth it? I'm sure they are fun to fight, but I hope they never make it up to MN.

Originally Posted By: carpmanjake

i think the big head will be fine. and not make to much of an impact in the ecosystem on the mississippi.

how can you say that? We do not want any invasives swimming in our waters period. They all affect the ecosystem one way or another. The bighead will eat forage that would otherwise be available to other native species. Those species may not be top level predators, but it eventually all trickles down, or in this case, from the bottom up. Decreased forage availability due to an influx of invasive species is never a good thing. This could lead to population crashes of certain fish species, or other non-fish species. To say bigheads won't have a negative impact is being obtuse. There is a reason the MN DNR wants you to reports these fish immediately, and why it is prohibited to return these fish to the water. They don't want them here.

sure they may give a good tug on the other end of the line, but at what cost is it worth it? I'm sure they are fun to fight, but I hope they never make it up to MN.

dead head. i dont want them here. im just saying that if the bighead do get up here that the ecosystem will survive. but if the silvers get here. then we can say goodbye to all water based recreation, and our ecosystem.

and big heads are much easier to control and kill since the are alot easier to shoot with a bow for the bow fisherman, the state just needs to allow bowfishing at night on the rivers and lakes connecting to the mississippi, to control the population. (they will be feeding on the surface) and they are never large numbers of them in an area like silver carp

but if the silvers get here there is no hope at all of stopping them or controlling them, due to there jumping and HUGE numbers, wariness, and speed.

i am not implying that we shouldnt try to stop them. im just saying that if big heads manage to get up here the ecosystem will be fine.

Indiana law says you must kill them immediately. So if it's any consolation to y'all, I jammed a tree branch through his mouth, out his bottom jaw, and stuck him in the ground to rot. I also called the DNR, and we discussed the subject for awhile. He said he was well aware of the problem, but was short with words on what to do about it. I hate killing any fish, but I gotta do what's expected of me as a responsible fisherman.

Big Heads will be fine? That's like saying common carp haven't changed the ecosystem. They've had a MASSIVE impact. Asian carp of all kinds will be severely detrimental.

They're just filter feeders? They'll knock out the base of the food pyramid, which screws with the ecosystem a lot more than a top-down predator

Big Heads will be fine? That's like saying common carp haven't changed the ecosystem. They've had a MASSIVE impact. Asian carp of all kinds will be severely detrimental.

They're just filter feeders? They'll knock out the base of the food pyramid, which screws with the ecosystem a lot more than a top-down predator

im not saying they wont harm the ecosystem. but the ecosystem WILL survive. just like everyone said common carp would destroy everything. but native fish adapted and survived! and bigheads are never in big enough of numbers to even get close to depleting all the plankton in the ecosystem. but if silvers get up here, their huge numbers will lower the plankton population to dangerous levels within years, if that.

i am not saying i WANT them here. i DONT!! but if bigheads DO get here, im saying the ecosystem will change, but it WILL survive. but silvers will destroy the ecosystem

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_guy

Or shoot 'em. They are a blast with a bow. They fight harder than a grassy when shot.

thats true. i didnt mention that because i dont beleive in killing fish im not going to eat

That is your choice. I like to catch carp on rod and reel as much as anyone else, but the law in this state requires death to all bigheads captured. If they cant be caught, they can be shot.

Besides as you clearly stated, they are filter feeders and can not be caught on hook and line. I say shoot 'em. Silvers too. Mabe you should try sticking one once, you never know, you might just like it.

Just another way to use a resoarse.

BTW Bigheads were captured in Lake Pepin in '07. They are closer than we all think. Commons, and Grassies were both rare in this state at one time or another. Now they are everywere, it is all just a matter of time.

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_guy

thats true. i didnt mention that because i dont beleive in killing fish im not going to eat

That is your choice. I like to catch carp on rod and reel as much as anyone else' date=' but the law in this state requires death to all bigheads captured. If they cant be caught, they can be shot.

Besides as you clearly stated, they are filter feeders and can not be caught on hook and line. I say shoot 'em. Silvers too. Mabe you should try sticking one once, you never know, you might just like it.

Just another way to use a resoarse.

BTW Bigheads were captured in Lake Pepin in '07. They are closer than we all think. Commons, and Grassies were both rare in this state at one time or another. Now they are everywere, it is all just a matter of time.

[/quote']

im talking bowfishing for common carp. bighead and silver carp, if i had the chance id kill every single one of them.

if i were to catch a big head or a silver, it would die. i have no problem with that. i have tried bow fishing. i was great at it. but i didnt like the idea that the fish has basically NO chance to escape.

Quote:
not to mention the on the water recreation will basically stop as well

That's not a bad thing! I would be happier than a pig in [PoorWordUsage] if recreation traffic ceased to exist on our rivers. We've got plenty of lakes for the rec. boaters.

Can't wait till their swimming in these waters I've heard they are a blast. I know their exotic and we don't want them here and all that but if gives me a tight line and a bend in the pole i'll be smiling.

I don't think it is possible to catch bighead on hook and line. I think they filter feed. It would be like fishing for paddle fish with a hook and bait. You would need to snag or spear them.

Quote:
not to mention the on the water recreation will basically stop as well

That's not a bad thing! I would be happier than a pig in [PoorWordUsage] if recreation traffic ceased to exist on our rivers. We've got plenty of lakes for the rec. boaters.

I hate the idea of these fish ruining river recreation. How could anyone not care about their rivers. Sounds absurd to me.

Quote:

There isn't anything in here that said I don't care. My point is I want there to be fewer jet ski's and pleasure boaters on our rivers. I don't want silver's, bigheads or any other invasive species to be introduced into our waterways and I would do anything to help prevent this.

It has been said before, lots of posts on here are just misunderstood and I believe that is what has happened here.