• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Staying warm when it's really cold.

HOGEYE

What is everyones best method of staying warm when the temps dip way down. I like to just bring a sleeping bag in stand and pull up to me chest. I have been thinking about the Heater Body Suits Though. I also use a reversable camo jacket and snowpant which is better than buying two pairs. I sometimes use heat packs with adhesive and a handmuff as well. Does anyone use down or wool pants?

The key is layers and not sweating on the way to your deer stand so I have a gigantic pack that I carry my stuff in. Last year opening day of rifle season 9 below I wore long underwear, flannel shirt and light blaze orange sweatshirt to my stand and when I got there I put on all of the things I had in my pack, I made it all day in my stand. Layer upon layer with a warm, quiet, waterproof coat on top. The disposable handwarmers are a must inside of a handmuff, just wear light gloves inside and they will never get cold. If you don't sweat you will stay comfortable.

Leechlake is right on the money about layering and not getting sweated up on the way to your stand.

For me, the feet is the first thing to get cold on me. I have found that a good pair of wool socks coupled with mickey mouse boots let me sit as long as I want. The only drawback to the mickeys is that they are heavy.

Leech and Gizzard have it right, layers, warm feet, warm hands, carry your stuff into the stand so you don't get sweated up. I'd like to add make sure you have a warm hat, for the cold weather hunting I like one of those stocking caps that goes all the way down over your neck. Boots are key, I always used to get cold feet until I bought a pair of the Ice kings. I also use the disposable/chemical hand warmers, they're great. Then I have a bib/coat combo that can be turned to white or camo and that always gets carried into the stand. Sometimes I'll add another coverall under it. One more thing I always do is wear polypropelyne underware next to my skin, if you do sweat a little, it will wick it away.

I've also lusted after one of those heater body suits but like all good toys they're kind of spendy. Wish I could actually see and feel and try one on. Let us know if you get one and how it works.

I like to go in in real light clothes to avoid the sweat factor. Layering is definitely the way to go, get wicking-type Poly-pro underwear and have some of those heat-packs with you. When I see them at Fleet Farm, I get the regular hand warmer ones for hands and feet and the adhesive backed big square ones for my lower back, to keep my guts warm. They really help. I also use a camo insulated hand muff-type thing, it's like a tube of insulation that you can keep your hands in while your waiting for Mr. Big head-bones. I wear thin glove liners, Thermax-fabric, year round so I can maintain feel on my bow handle and release and the muff really helps keeps my hands warm. Also, Thermax balaclava, like you wear under your snowmobile helmet is great to keep the warmth under your hat instead of leaking out. Fleece is a great underlayer, too because it makes a thin layer of warm air that helps insulate against the cold.

The disposables don't put off any scent that I've ever smelled & my buddies & I use them all the time bowhunting. Shot plenty of deer while using them.

I'd agree on the layer thing & not wearing much walking to your stand. I've gotten sweated up a few times in pretty cold weather & stripped down to my tee shirt or even removed it. If you do get sweaty get dry before putting more clothing on, you'll stay a lot warmer. If you're feet get cold almost no matter what like mine do, keep your toes wiggling almost constantly inside your boots. They might get cold, but you can keep them from freezing so you can tough it out.