• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishin heavy......

eyehead

So what kind of jigs are you guys using when your fishing deeper water?? I found a spot with some real nice sunnies in about 25-30ft of water. I'll get a school of dandys to come through and catch one but by the time I get my jig back down there, they are usually gone. I've been using a lil forage minnow jig on 4lb test line......Thanks for any help!!

Earlier this week when we were out in the afternoon trying to get bluegills, we were having a hard time finding what they like. We were throwing every thing we could think of at them. Some of the colors we were having luck with were metallic colors like silver and gold, and glow white and some with some pink in them. One thing that was catching their attention was a black jig that had like a fake diamond in the top of the head. They would come racing up to it and check it all out but they would only put the head in their mouth. So if you could find a small jig with something shiny it might work good. We were using waxies and euros. The other day they were hitting pretty good on red euros. A couple of days ago we got out a little early for the crappies and I put a minnow down just to see if the crappies were biting yet in about 32 feet about 10 feet from the top and ended up with a 8" bluegill.

1/16th ounce and 1/20th ounce for gills. Like Ozzie said reduce that line size from 4 to 2 in a co-poly so you get a little more strength from your 2 pound as well. Diamond jigs, flutter bugs, fiskas wolframs 3 mm or 4 mm, little atom optic stealths, northland mud bugs,Lindy fat boys are heavy also in the size 12 and 10. Reducing the line size and small heavy jigs will get you down there quicker.

In water over 20' I use 2 4mm Fiskas. Thats probably 1/16oz and sinks quickly. I start with a nickel or gold jig above a black or yellow/orange jig. One trick is to slide a bobber stop up your line so you know when you have enough line out. You can pull line off the reel by hand up to that point and let the jigs free fall which will speed up the process. Good luck.

The fiska tungsten jigs are great for deep water, jigging spoons also work well. Starting with a bigger size spoon will sometimes surprise you with what those bluegills with inhale. I usually tip my treble with 3-4 euro larva or 2-3 waxworms.