• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Spring Rod Building for 2009 Season

rodmaker

What are everyone's plans for a new rod building for the upcoming season??

I just started (Mon) a G. Loomis GLX SJR 842 (7 ft) (Alot of gift Certificated for Christmas & my BD) Med action. I extended the handle out 9". The reason, 7-9 ft snells on Mille Lacs. Going to put titanium guides on it.

Have it narrowed down between a Shimano Sustain 2500, or one of the Stradic's mg's.

I'm going to give a try to a couple Phenix blanks. I've read some good reviews on the stock rods. Looking at the numbers on the blanks, they seem very light for the power.

I'm still bumming that ATC blanks went under. They were awesome. So now I've got to find some new blanks that can compare for a similar price. GLX's are just too much dough.

So far I am only planning on two rods (one for each kid) they are colored blanks from mudhole.

Vickings colors for the daughter and Packers for the son.

I am working on the handle for the Vickings. I've got some yellow type wood with purlple heart crisscrossed through it - hoping to turn it this afternoon on the lathe (after the glue has dried).

Not sure what wood I will use for the son's handle.

Hey Rodmaker - not sure if your last post was directed to me (you might have been directing that to Fishin Freaks) but I was just saying that in some instances I like the shikarii I built over the G.Loomis(GL) IMX that I built. I personally feel that with the cost difference, the IMX is a better deal than the GLX - I just don't think the GLX is an 80% better rod (which is about the price difference on the blanks).

I have also heard some people say that the GLX is more brittle - not sure if that is true.

Eyes on the Prize.

That was directed to Fishn Freaks. I'm building my first GLX. I got a ton of gift certificates for Christmas and my BD. More than likely, it will be my one and only GLX. For the 100 price difference, I can put on titanium guides on a IMX.

All my other rods are IMS's.

Rod Maker - Got it. Don't get me wrong - if I had $ to spend a GLX would be in my boat, but like you said - you can put a lot of nice accesories on an IMX for the price dif...

bemidji - I've thought about doing a Croix for my next one - I'm afraid my gLoomis snob neighbors would whip me with their musky rods if I did though.

Harvey is right, there is a point of diminishing returns. Not the that super high end rods aren't a bit better than the upper mid range, just not enough for me to justify the $$$.

If your pocket book is fat(or a fist full of gift certificates), by all means spend it. It will be a better rod.

If I didn't have gift certificates, I wouldn't be building the GLX. IMX are plenty good for me. The St. Croix Avids seemed nice.

It all depends what you start building. If you start building Avids and like them, you will continue. Same if you like rainshadows.

I started with G. Loomis IM6. When the IMX came out I started with them and have been Very happy.

I think anything from an Avid or similar are good rods. I was pretty impressed with the 7'9" Rainshadow spinning rod. I may keep that one in mind also. Where you can gain some other advantage is with the lighter guides.

I wasn't sure what blanks the Avid line was built on, so I had to go check the St. Croix site. They are built on the SC111 line of blanks, nice but not the top of the line St. Croix blanks. There is the SCV1 and the SCV. I have only built one rod on the SCV and I will tell you it was sweet, but that was a very expensive blank, and it was for someone who was willing to put out the Cha Ching for the blank. I have built a few on the SC111 blanks and they are very nice. I just built one on a Rainshadow Rx7 and I will let you all know what I think after I get it on the water grin

I have built numerous Rainshadow blanks fom Midwest Rod and Reel and for the money, they are a nice blank. I also have 1 SCV and yes, its very nice but the cost to me is a bit much for what one gets. I personally don't believe the SCV is worth the extra over thr rainshadow blanks.

I don't know if your 150-250 comparison is accurate but there are many reasons. Warranty is one, availability is another as well as country of origin.

If I am comparing two rods that I feel are equal but the one with a better warranty is a tad more, I'll probably spend the money.

If I am comparing two rods that I feel are equal but I have to order one vs. a short drive to pick it up for a few bucks more, I'll make the drive.

If I am comparing two rods that I feel are equal but one is made in China/Malaysia or who knows where or spend a few bucks more on a USA made blank, I'll spend a few more bucks. I like American made products.

Add it all up and it would seem like the cheaper one is the better deal, but is it?

To many people some things are worth paying a bit extra for, and to some it's not.

We all have our preferences and personally I would rather build on St Croix, but the Rainshadow blanks are substantially cheaper for the same quality. People can make up their own minds on what they want to purchase and why.

I say save the arguments for the political forum.

I think I would classify the Avid blanks as above average.

I did tie up the Legend Elite, brown blank, not a dull finish. (I forget what they call it in a blank) I like that one as well as the IMX. The guys in the know said they are both equal. It all comes down if you are a St. Croix guy, or Loomis guy.

Is that Rainshadow blank a dull charcoal color like the IMX.

I'm going to start tying guides on the glx tomorrow eve, going with titanium. Again my out of pocket after the gift cert. is going to be maybe $50.00

I find that the St Croix warranty is no better than the warranty I recieve. The warranty all depends on the dealer.

I can be more than happy with a Chinese blank. Thats where almost all come from even if one is told otherwise.

As far as ordering one or picking it up, that makes no difference to me. It costs to drive also.

I don't mind paying a bit extra if I'm getting something worth that much extra. The higher end blanks are not that different yet the price can be huge.

Its ones choice to purchase what they like. I personally like to get what I pay for and not the extra for the name.

Rodmaker, that GLX will be a nice rod.

Harvey,

Don't take what I'm saying the wrong way. I just brought up St. Croix because they have a fairly wide range of blanks in Prices. Some people (mnfishing guy) likes to purchase blanks made in the USA. Again personal choice.

What blanks do you build on???

Some pro rodmakers speak highly of some of the rainshadow blanks.

That one rainshadow blank I was talking about really seemed nice. I'm going to look at it tomorrow.

Cost does play a big factor no doubt. Like I mentioned before it comes down to personal choice and budget.

The Cabela's fish Eagle II blanks are very nice also and I believe they are under $60.00

That GLX will be nice, but it will be the only one I have.

Take Care.

Rod

Quote:
s that Rainshadow blank a dull charcoal color like the IMX.

Yeah pretty much. They call it matte. Not sure how I feel about it. But leaving the gloss off can reduce the weight of the finish allowing more graphite instead of varnish.