• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hard wire a GPS on sled?

mthunter

Cheffrey and I just did exactly that. We ran 14 guage wire from the batttery to a 15 amp in line fuse and then from there ran to a 12 volt cig lighter adapter that we mounted in a good spot on the hood. Then we mounted RAM mounts on the hood and use the 12 volt cord that we use in out trucks. Works awesome. Ill get some pics and see maybe they will help.

I have seen guys carry a vex battery in a tank bag and run the GPS off that for power. I used to just run lithium rechargables for a winter and they worked great in the cold. I always have them in the GPS so if something happened with my sled power I will have them as back up now.

Ill get some pics here as soon as I find my dang camera.

yes there is a transformer that regulates the voltage to 3v, do not cut the cord.

If you don't have a battery, the best option like mentioned is to mount a flasher type battery either in the engine compartment or in some sort of handle bag.

Thanks for the info guys. My sled does not have a battery so I guess the easy and quickest option is out. If I run a vex battery do I just hook up the cig lighter to that and then plug in the GPS?

I put my battery in my map bag and have a cig lighter that I put spade clips on so they will stay on the battery. The center of the cig plug is your positive side of the batttery if it is not labeled or color coded.