• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to Summer riding!

Lane

Last January I won an ATV in an ice fishing contest, and never realized how much I needed an ATV until I got one. I use it all the time for ice fishing and hunting throughout the fall and winter.

One of my new year's resolution is to put some miles on my machine this summer and i was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

What is the best way to get into this sport? If a guy wanted to do some great trail riding in Minnesota, where should I go?

Any advice or insight into summer riding would be much appreciated.

If you google Mn Dnr ohv trail it will give you a page that has all the state run trails listed. There are usually a couple rides posted on here in the summer that everyone is welcome to join as well! What kind of machine did you win?

Less then a minute into the Forest Lake Fishapalooza last year i pulled out a 1.77lbs Northern that won me a 2007 Artic Cat 500.

Of all those trails, is there any that you recommend?

Lane...I am new to ATVing also and took mine to the Red Top and Solana trails last fall. I had a blast on both but thought the Solana trail was the better of the two. I plan on trail riding alot more this coming spring, summer and fall and am looking forward to any trail get-togethers with FMers. I have a 2009 Honda Rancher AT 420.

Look on the DNR HSOforum for trails and print out a few maps. Red Top, Nemadji and Pine Center are some of my favorites that are reasonably close to the twin cities. There are lots more. Look up some of the ATV websites and you will find most of them have organized rides all over the place. Hang onto your checkbook these things are addicting!

If you're willing to travel, some of the trails up by Silver bay are very scenic. Red Dot (not to be confused with Red Top) and the Moose Walk are a couple. Nemadji State Forest always seems to be a favorite and is within a decent drive from most anywhere.

the gandydancer in danbury wisconsin runs from danbury to superior and i think it connects to the soo line but all the trails that shoot off the gandy dancer are awesome but make sure it rains before you go or the gandy dancer will be very dusty

only problem is that you have to buy a wisconsin permit

I think they went up to about $30? You can get them at most gas stations. I havent found many places in the state that I wouldnt go back too! Solana and Ft Ripely are my least favorite. I would have to say Nemaji and St Croix are my favorites. I am hoping to spend more time in WI this year and find some good spots over there.

The Soo Line doesn't connect all the way to Superior from what I've heard and there's no route to get into Superior. I don't know this as fact. Only what I've been told by someone who found out the hard way trying to get into Superior from the Soo Line. It was a costly mistake.

Congats on the new ATV!

Heres some tips on summer riding. Bring goggles, such as dirt biking goggles, theres tons of dust, bugs, tree limbs that will get into your eyes. So goggles are a must have. Also gloves are pretty nice, when the sun goes down it gets cold, its nice to have something to break the wind over your hands and to keep dust off. Also its a good idea to pack some supplys such as tire plugs, fix a flat or sometype of compressed air, flashlight, etc...

Good places to ride are Red Top, Nemaji, Danbury WI.

Also I've been to the end of the Soo Line it doesnt go all the way to Superior I think it stops about 3-4 miles away, the trail just kind of trickles down to nothing. But there is a small town at the end where you can get gas. And the Grand Dancer Trail and Soo Line dont meet up, kinda funny because they get pretty close together but never join.