• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on old bbl .410

I got an old friends (he died) Lefever Nitro Special .410 that I will not be selling anyway... but wonder about its value. Basically should I let the grandkids shoot hunt with it or keep it for "show". I know it works, as I have used it in past years. Very good condition, but not perfect - i.e. bluing is a bit worn but no rust or pitting or even scratches; stock is original but checkering is a bit worn.

From what I am guessing this is one of the Ithaca licensed models, so probably not a true "Lefever" but it sure looks like some of the models you see on internet auctions going for a pretty penny (and a half!). I am wondering if anybody knows how to tell one of the "good" ones from one of the "mass produced" ones.... I love it anyway, and will keep it, but curious if might be one to keep from having it get damaged. It is a beautiful little gun! only 2.5" chamber.

Thanks for thoughts, or a good place in metro to have it apprasied or checked out. The folks I showed to so far don't really know any more about it than me. smile

I don't know if that place on 394 & Louisiana is still open, and I don't remember the name, a few years back someone drove a car through the front and tried to take off with a bunch of guns, caused them to close for awhile. Heard positive things about them, but nothing first hand.

Bill's up in Robbinsdale? I don't know if they appraise or not, worth a call though.

I found an interesting article here, and I think while this .410 is nice and definitely decent value, it is not a "true" Lefever and not one of the $2000 or up shotguns... my guess is it is worth about $400-$600.

Double Barrel article - Lefever

I will take good care of it though, of course.

Thanks gspman. This gun has a bit off interesting history to it as well, as it sat behind a bar for many years until it had to "given away" after an incident back in the old days (no death or anything, but it was "used" I guess...), or so I was told. My Dad and his buddy are gone now, so now way to really get the full scoop on it but it is really nice little gun. I will try to grab a pic and post it.

I got an old one also...single shot that has a worn hammer....most of the time it don't catch unless you move the trigger forward at the same time...it was my brothers and he is in his late 70's and doesn't want it. My son-in-law said let's just hang on to it for passing down through the generations.....there also is a little pitting on the barrel and the stock is quite worn after all of these years, but it does have more sentimental value then probably actual value...and I don't even know what kind it is.