• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where are some smoother riding trails?? within 1 hour or so of TC

kdawg

Put 80 miles on this morning but by the time I got back I felt like I had run the gauntlet. The trails are a bit rough here in the north metro. Any suggestions where I could go this weekend with some decent trails? The closer to the TC the better but if I had to drive a hour and a half or a bit more, I'd do it. I'd also need info on where I could park my truck and trailer. Any imput will be MUCH appreciated.

go west on highway 7. there is a new trail where they took out the Dakota Railroad Line. Reall nice trail cuts through sometowns with local bars and restraunts to feed your tank and sled.There might be a parking spot at highway 7 and the Mayer turn off or roundabout more like it. Or travel to Hollywood ranch house. Big open spot to park an also the railline is about a mile or two south. or head north from there on sled there is another trail called Luce Line. both very good trails and very well groomed. both trails will lead you on a 30-40 mile trip to hutchinson. up to you if wish to travel farther west from hutch on the luce line yet.

Spend the $35.00 for a non-resident trail pass for Wisconsin and go up to St.Croix Falls. You can park south of the KFC right of of Hwy 8. You'll never find better trails. Put on a 100 miles last Sunday and the trails were mint. As usual! even met the groomer on the Gandy. Its nothing to put on 250 mile a day on that side of the river. laugh

Spend the $35.00 for a non-resident trail pass for Wisconsin and go up to St.Croix Falls. You can park south of the KFC right of of Hwy 8. You'll never find better trails. Put on a 100 miles last Sunday and the trails were mint. As usual! even met the groomer on the Gandy. Its nothing to put on 250 mile a day on that side of the river. laugh

Can a guy get non-res WI passes at MN DNR stores or do I need to go to a WI shop?

Uncle Bill, that is a good question I asked myself after my first real ride after getting sleds this year. The signs they have placed along the trail suggestioning to join and reminding that volunteers take care of the trails is a great thing.

I am going to join one in the Crosslake/Emily area, as I really see the work they put into maintaining them before and after the snow falls. I have my contact info, just need to talk to them and see which one to join. I am surprised at all the trails in my area after you get to reading a few maps and talking to more folks out on sleds. Good times smile But yep, joining a club is a good thing I think.

brainerd area

very good trails and lots of em 1200 miles with-in a 60 miles radius of brainerd

need to stay off the paul bunyan trail and the main hwy (sorta speak) brainerd..nisswa..breezy..crosslake

try snowway 1 or ge east outa merrifield if you get here during the week all the trails are good

the clubs here do a great job for he traffic we get

lots of good burger and beer places on the trails to

less than 2 hrs from maple grove (brother lives there )

I'll second going to Wisconsin. They put way more effort into their trails.. I think they might actually welcome snowmobilers. wink

no way, minnesota trails are much better, and the more we ride them, the better they will be.

I bet those that say wiscosin trailes are better, also are packer fans. grin

well i believe as i said we have great trails in minn i can t talk about wis never rode there but i have road in the UP

and they are great there to been of some ruff ones there to

but alot of what i cal paul bunyan trails long staight boring rides (old rail road beds) and where we rode it didnt take long and you had cover all the trails

you can ride for aweek here and not go on the same trail

and all kinds to most ditches are lakes are froze good take ur pick

Originally Posted By: chasineyes
I'll second going to Wisconsin. They put way more effort into their trails.. I think they might actually welcome snowmobilers. wink

Just curious.

Do you belong to a snowmobile club ?

Sorry Uncle Bill no I don't. Unfortuantely I have a job with 2 young children to take care of while my wife works off-shift. INSTEAD I VOLUNTEER WITH MY TAXES, FEES, STICKERS, STAMPS, PERMITS, LICENSES, GAS TAXES, ETC,.,ETC.,

Quote:
I bet those that say wiscosin trailes are better, also are packer fans. grin

I AM DEFINITLY NOT A PACKER FAN!

I have been stopped by the DNR and the sheriff so many times in Minnesota I can't even count how many. At best count I was stopped 7 times on the railroad bed going from Hugo to North Branch. Just one way. and yes I follow the speed limit of 50 mph. Aside the fact we have to pay so darn much for the registration and the TRAIL STICKER!mad Aren't our reg. fees for the trails. Or is that just to black top them and tell us we can't use them. Either way I've got a paddle track on my sled. Don't really care about the asphalt trails. Don't ride them. And for those of you who don't stay on the trail, your the reason trails close all the time. That does include Wisconsin. But I see it a lot more in Minnesota. Don't get me wrong, the trails are not that bad in Minnesota, I just prefer to ride in WI.

IMO there are lots of good trails in MN so you dont have to spend the 35 bucks to go to Wisconsin. And if you need to bring a couple of sleds over there your talking 35, 70, 105...etc to ride there. But to answer your question just hope on I35 north one hour, ok maybe an hour and half. And ride, try the Sandstone area, unload at Docs which is a really nice bar and grill right on the freeway. They should have trail maps in there.