• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about a tilt trailer

kdawg

Just bought a 2 place, aluminum tilt trailer for my new sled (04 xc sp Polaris), with a salt shield. When the sled is off it and I want to run the sled onto the trailer I have to have someone physically stand on the back end of the trailer to hold it down. I'm pretty sure it's because of the salt shield on the front that extra weight is required to hold it down. Problem for me is: if I'm going to go sledding by myself, what would be a good way to rig the trailer so it drops down by itself so I can drive onto it? Am I the only one who's run into this problem?? thanks.

I had the same problem ( I built a wood salt shield) but because I use mine for fishing I set my otter sled on the back end or today a 6 gallon gas can was enough. I suppose I could tighten the pivot bolt but I just don't want to mess with it so I will always have something heavy along. The gas can trick might work if you always have a can along and its enough weight.

dennis kirk sells pistons that will help prop your tilt bed when loading a trailer. They install under the main channel on the frame.

Another option, is to install a spring where the tilt/pivot bolt is connected. They come in a kit and includes a replacement pivot bolt that is longer to accommodate the spring installed on each side. This is what I installed on my trailer. I bought mine from Dennis Kirk last year but I believe they were a closeout as I didn't see it in the 2009 catalog.

I've done multiple searches online and on the dennis kirk HSOforum for 'sledders choice', 'raise rite', 'bed lift' and can't find the system you are referring to. Could you copy a link, or get me a phone number? Much appreciated.

do a google for "spring lift kit for single pole tongue" its the second listing, and way down the page of pics, gives you an idea of it anyway, I checked my packaging on the "raise rite" and there was no mention of a web site. I got mine at my local AC dealer.

The gas lifts are junk, or will be next year.

I just prop the trailer with the ski hold down. As soon as I drive onto the bed the hold down falls out and the trailer drops into place. Simple!

Works great.... we a had 2x2 for about a half season one year before we lost it and that worked great also.

I just have a chunk of 4x4 wood that I place between the trailer bed and the tongue shaft as I hold the trailer up in tilt position from the front. It will hold the trailer in tilt position while you drive the sled on. It will remove easily or most times fall out on its own. Done it alone many times and no problem.

I have the same issue with my single place trailer and I'm most often by myself when loading. I simply drive the sled as close as needed to turn the skis to one side (or the other), pull the trailer down, then straighten the skis. The skis hold the bed down while I drive up. Maybe this isn't do-able on a heavier two-place trailer?

Got the spring in the other day and when I looked at installation instructions, it said trailer had to be upside down for installation. It took me about 2 seconds to decide on letting the dealer do it (Power Sports in Stillwater). They charged me 95 bucks, but I'll tell ya, it was 95 bucks well spent. They actually had to drill the holes out to make it fit. If I woulda tried doing it myself, no tellin how long it would have taken, recruiting wife and son to lift the trailer upside down, then go get a drill bit to hone-out the aluminum hole.... I woulda been cussin' all the way I'm sure. Anyhow, the thing works slicker than slick now.