• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I want to buy a pt. lab

otis32

Otis, if you think about the price for the pup over 12 years, $800 is pretty minimal compared to all the other costs you will put into the pup. IMO, that is a reasonable price for a top quality breeding froma reputable breeder. Many quality litters on the APLA are bringing much more than that. You might get lucky and find a left-over pup from quality breeding for about $500. At the very least make sure both sire and dame have full health clearances. I did tons of research before I purchased and I am very happy with my choice. There are some very nice litters in your area but not at the basement prices you are looking for. More often that not you will get what you pay for. Shoot me a message if you have any questions.

Thanks guys! The money is more of a issue with the BOSS(WIFE)!! I want a great dog, and I know you get what you pay for. Maybe I will get lucky and find a cheaper one. Thanks again!!!

I have a puppy (not a lab) arriving in April that is costing me $1200...

WOW! The more I see what pups are going for these days the more I think my pups are a bargin grin

Just out of curiosity what kind of pup are you getting?

Man, I got a good Lab 4 years ago for $300. He's been great and have had to do minimal training with him. Guess I got a good deal!

Good Luck on your search. Since that is a little more unique, I am sure that is why the price is higher.

When I researched Pointing Labs last year, the cheapest breeder with a good reputation i found was in Sauk Rapids. i did find a couple pups in Illinois that were $500 but why they were for sale is a long story.

If you've got your heart set on a Pointing Lab you're going to have to fork out the $$$. The dog is the cheap part, the vet, food and puppy damage is the kicker!

Good luck!!

Originally Posted By: nofishfisherman
I have a puppy (not a lab) arriving in April that is costing me $1200...

WOW! The more I see what pups are going for these days the more I think my pups are a bargin grin

Just out of curiosity what kind of pup are you getting?

We are getting a Vizsla. They just aren't cheap dogs, the lowest I have seen is $800 but we would have been driving 6+ hours one way to get it. Our breeder is in the metro area so they are probably a little higher, but this does allow us to spend time with the pup on a regular basis before we are able to bring him home which is nice.

I'm not sure if I agree with the more money you spend on an animal the better it is. We got your dog out of a store parking lot for free. We have never tought him anything, he just cought on to everything. For example no barking, jumping, sit, stay, no beging, hes never been on a leash (except in petco). Very smart dog. I want to breed him before we get him fixed for myself and about twenty other people that want him. Our parents even fight over keeping him for a weekend if we go somewhere. Thats just my two cents.

Of course you can get great dogs almost anywhere, but you are also just as likely to get a real difficult dogs as well.

Going through a quality breeder allows you to know what kind of dog you are getting and thats what you are paying for.

If you get any dog regardless if you get it for free or pay $1000 for it and you don't teach/train it you are counting only on luck for a good dog. And IMO you got very lucky with your dog.

I'm not sure if I agree with the more money you spend on an animal the better it is. We got your dog out of a store parking lot for free. We have never tought him anything, he just cought on to everything. For example no barking, jumping, sit, stay, no beging, hes never been on a leash (except in petco). Very smart dog. I want to breed him before we get him fixed for myself and about twenty other people that want him. Our parents even fight over keeping him for a weekend if we go somewhere. Thats just my two cents.

I am not going to comments on anything else in this post, but I will ask one thing. In which situation do you think you have a better chance at getting a healthy gun dog?

1) Back-yard breeder giving away free pups in Cabela's parking lot.

2) Professional breeders breeding dogs that are paired for the right reasons (traits/temperament/abilities). These dogs also all have full health certification thus lowering the chances of having a dog with a health defect. Breeding properly takes money to do so...so these breeders must charge more for their dogs.

It's good to hear your experience turned out on positive note.

To anyone looking for a dog, your small investment now could save you a lot of money in the future, vets bills are not cheap with a dog that has issue.

I just want to throw in my $02 too. Please be more aware about buying a good line of pups rather than the price. You can wait another litter or so to save the extra cash. But it really sucks when your Lab has early health problems. Believe me, I know. Putting down an 8 month old puppy or spending $5,000 on a surgery that might not work is not a fun decision to make.

The breeder where I bought my new pup from this fall still had an all black litter ready on 12/24 and still has some available. $400 and guaranteed for 30 months. Shoot me an email if your interested I can give you his number. He's a little ways from you but he sells pups to people all over the country.

[Please read forum rules before posting again. Thank You]

Otis, I just read on a PL HSOforum about a black female available that had a foot injury as a pup. For that reason they will not guarantee sustained upland ability but also likely will not be a problem. They are looking for a good home and money is not an issue. I'm not sure how much of a reduced rate that means but it is a pup out of a breeding that has produced GMPR. [Please read forum rules before posting again. Thank You]