• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stupid question... smokey starting

BoxMN

Here I am asking another question smile that was sort of answered in previous posts, I think. but I am still nervous...

So when you start it the first time in the morning, and you let it warm up a bit of course... and you break the track loose by doing the arse-end drop/bounce... and then you hit throttle to get it going.... there is that time before it really engages, and it smokes like a Cheech and Chong movie until it gets going....

Is that normal, and is it burning the belt, or did I not let it warm up enough, or is it just the way it goes first thign in AM. Buddy says that is just how it is, make sure you bounce the track, maybe break skis loose, but it will smoke.

Is that just how it is? Any advice to us newbies and better ways to get going first time of the day? Thanks!

I'm assuming you're talking about the exhaust. If so yea that's normal. At start up you have to use the choke and let it idle for a little while. The rich mixture will load up the engine a bit. If you're getting smoke from the belt then no that's not right.

Older sleds (my experience) will smoke quite a bit while the motor is heating up - usually the first couple minutes. Then it smokes a lot less once the engine gets up to normal operating temperature.

As for the track, it can cause the drive belt to smoke if the track is frozen. Pick up and dropping the back end can solve this. I ride my sled in deep snow and slush up north. If I don't lift the back end and spin the track prior to shutting down, everything will be frozen in the morning and I'll fry the drive belt before getting that track to spin.

So make sure that you get everything clear if you think that the track is sticking. You'll notice a distinct difference in smell between the two smokes. The engine smoke will smell awesome -- nothing better than 2-stroke in the morning. A burning belt will smell different and usually makes me want to gag.

I really like to lift the back up and spin the track right away in the morning. Things really stiffen up over night and this seems to loosen it up and you don't have as many smoking issues. A lot of times when you jump on and go right away you are burning the belt a bit before things free up.

My Cat likes to let out a healthy plume of blue exhaust smoke when I first start it up. It won't go away until I can run the motor for a short bit in the higher RPM range.

I don't usually see smoke from the belt, oftentimes I can smell it a bit though.

Box, It depends if the smoke is from the belt or engine. If it from the belt, you will wear it out quicker. The best way to warm up is with the sled on a track stand. It lets you warm up the engine and belt with minimal load on things. It is also a lot safer than having someone hold up the rear end while you give it throttle. If the track were to let loose it can really mess a guy up, especially if you have studs. Not common, but it does happen.

Some times frost gets on the clutch so there is less friction for the belt to grab hold of hence the slipping of belt. This happens more so when the drive train is stiff from sitting over night. Best think, like said before, Lift it up and spin track a little bitt to loosen things up and to warm clutch and belt.

Since I'm not made of money, I keep a nice long 2.5 foot log next to my back door at the cabin. When I'm done riding, I lift the backend of the sled and toss the stump underneath. That allows me to spin the track before shutting down. Then in the morning, I can start the sled and spin the track again before kicking the stump out and riding away. It works great for an uneven surface and heavy snow.

Thanks all! Good info. Skunked, that is great idea, and I will use that, as I leave the sleds on the lake some nights and outside others.

Craig, I think I have aniece who is giving me a stand so will put that in the garage and use it it when I park them there.

You guys are all helping me out a ton! Thanks smile