• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Range Hockey!

Shot a few hockey games in GR over the weekend. Lighting was good but the lights really cycled! You can see that in a few of the shots. These were all shot with the 50D and 70-200/2.8. Most were at ISO 1250 to 1600 and 1/800s to 1/1000s.

The 50D did OK with hockey, didn't have all that many throw aways due to focus.

#1. Slap shot resulting in a goal.

448978053_ZQnXj-L.jpg

#2. Beat the defense!

448978372_oyjpV-L.jpg

3. Concentration.

448978591_3iHsS-L.jpg

#4. Slap shot just off the stick for another goal.

448976941_AwMFJ-L.jpg

#5. Control the puck!

448977618_wZFnq-XL.jpg

#6. Reflections

448977174_hV7V2-XL.jpg

#7. Heads up

448977397_g3KxP-XL.jpg

Steve is right, I've spent a few games in the penalty box...shooting! I usually shoot from the end of the players bench or the corners through the glass. These were all shot through the corner glass, it was not in bad shape. The type of glass makes a difference as well, plexi doesn't seem to be good for shooting or scratches. Shooting through glass will usually cost about a stop.

Dan,do you use center af point on a shoot like this?

ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially hockey, I usually try and shoot isolated as these shots show. But if you start shooting in crowds if you are not dead on your subject you will have missed focus. These uniforms are killer as well with all black. The focus can pick the letters in the jersey but many angles you don't have them in view.

I always used center point (for all action-sports work, not just hockey), and when I wasn't in the penalty box was standing on an upside-down garbage can shooting over the short glass along the side. Another great reason for center point is that on the XXD series when using an f2.8 lens, center point selection offers more precise focus capability.

These were all old half Ken! It is named after my wife's old next door neighbor and one of the nicest guys I ever met, Bill McDonald. I shot old half last year, I am pretty sure they upgraded the lights since then, don't remember getting that good of settings.

It's kinda funny. After seeing these images, I went to the local newspaper gallery and looked at their hockey photos. Out of 26 shots, there were only 4 that even had the puck included. To me, it would be similar to shooting a basketball game and leaving the basketball out of the photos. grin

X, I kind of have a few rules that I try not to break shooting hockey. Face hopefully with the eyes showing through those helmets, puck, and no backs of jerseys! Actually those same rules can be applied to any sports shot. It is hard to find compelling shots that don't have those basic elements. JMHO!