• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another newbie..

SM1

Having never owned a snowmobile, I am looking for some advise/thoughts.

I would like something for icefishing and still something "sporty" enough to go on rides/runs with friends-not looking for a racer. I have been looking at the late 90's polaris 500-700cc size. I was told to stay under 4k miles and thats about it. Thinking id spend around 1500.?

My main concern is would a sled like i am looking at be beat and in need of repairs shortly after buying? Or are there some out there that would fit my needs? Thanks

Like with all sleds, you'll be working on it after every ride

After every ride? Really? What kind of things do you normally do besides grease and check it over and clean it up for the next ride? I have found mine to be nearly trouble free with normal maintainance.

14000 on my last Skidoo with one re-ring and 8000 on my current Renegade and I still love it.

So im having a little trouble finding what im looking for. I know there's one out there but on many of the ads I call on I get the "just sold it yesterday". I'll keep checkin I guess!

Since you are new to sleddin I would stick with a 500cc sled.

I started with a fan cooled 500cc ski-doo and I still own it. The wife rides it now. Light easy to handle and still has a little giddy-up. I rode it for 3 years then moved up to a liquid cooled 500 Ski-doo....I have had it just shy of 100mph and didn't feel the need to go faster. :-)

A 500 is all you need. When I did a ton of trail riding I could hang with anyone on my MXz even sleds that were 700s. Straight aways or on the lake I didn't have the top end but I had as good or better handling in the trails being a lighter sled.

I now use it mostly for ice fishin with a little trail riding here and there...almost 6k miles and still runs great and is as fun to ride as the day I got it.

Keep in mind that low mileage doesn't necessarily mean it's a good sled to buy. If you are new to sledding it would be a good idea to try and find someone who knows sleds to go look at prospects with you. Another good idea would be to take along a cyclinder compression tester. Only takes a few minutes to pop out the plugs and get a good reading on the health of the engine. You could test run a machine and have it run fine but have a week cyclinder, ie: might need a rebuild sooner than later. Also, depending on your trailer set up reverse can be a huge plus.

I know its hard but don't pull the trigger until you find the "right" machine.

Another good idea would be to take along a cyclinder compression tester. Only takes a few minutes to pop out the plugs and get a good reading on the health of the engine.

Very good point here. I will not go look at a sled without one. This itself saved me from buying an 03' Skidoo a couple years ago. Everything looked decent for the most part...and I even drove it a short distance and it seemed fine. Tested the first cylinder...all good (compression about 130 or so). Tested the second cylinder (compression 90 or so).....NOT GOOD. Gave the guy a low offer as I knew how much it would take to fix.....but he would not take it and seemed to think nothing was wrong because it still ran.

I ended up getting a 98 Indy 500. Had an uncle come with who has owned many sleds to look it over for me. Everything seems to check out and I am happy with it. Should pull my portable around better than my wheeler right now smile

I would like go through and change/replace stuff. Change plugs, top off oil, seafoam??? Any suggestions on a good once over?? I run amsoil in my boat. Would this be good for this sled too?? Thanks.

I found this thread late, but was going to suggest something that has a history of dependability. You found it!! The Fuji 488 is arguably as bullet proof as it gets. Congrats! Important to get the carbs cleaned, as the ethanol in gas can create buildup over the summer, and then a piece of that buildup can break free and cause engine damage by causing the engine to run lean.

Can't comment on the Amsoil, I know a lot of guys are running that in a lot of the augers (premix) and such. I have always used Polaris brand injector oil.

Enjoy the new toy; I used to have '97 indy 5oo and it was a great sled.

I noticed tonight one of the plug wires had two inches worth of electrical tape to help hold the sparkplug wire to the cap. It seemed a little loose, but the sled ran fine when I last ran it.

To fix this do I need to buy a whole new coil/ignition or will a new cap or wire fix it??

Learning as I go!!!

Its looking like I should change the chaincase oil. That in itself looks like a easy task.

The question I have is about the chain tension screw?? Is there anything special to watch for here or do I just get it snug and go with it?? Im guessing it hasnt been adjusted for a while (or ever maybe). Thanks for any input.

Thanks guys!

No, I did'nt get a manual with this one. I will order one from somplace. Im thinking after chaincase oil change and screw adjustment, I'll have the carbs cleaned and it should good..for now. (I put in new plugs, one new plug cap, topped off the injection oil, checked coolant level and greased it)

Hey SM1 - I am no mechanic smile but I cleaned the carbs on my newly aquired 88 polaris 400 and it was pretty easy. I probably didn't get it as good as a pro, but they are pretty basic, or mine were anyway. Just counted the turns of jets and blasted with carb cleaner. Man, what a difference you could visibly see, and what a difference in how it runs.

Took me and a buddy about an hour, and a couple beers, to do both, and most of that was just being cautious about how we took them apart. I bet I could do it now in half that time (maybe even twice the beers, ha!)

Have fun with your toy! smile

I had a friend offer to do it for me. He has lot of experience with this so maybe I'll drink the beer and watch him work. No..that would be mean, I'll owe him one or two for the favor.