• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Engines

norm25

I will crawl slowly knowing a lot of you own polaris machines.

I have 1999 sportsman 500 that the factory engine expired with under 275 miles I will admit that those 375 miles were the worst miles a machine wold encounter, very harsh like the commercials. I almost expected the first engine failure. But now U replaced the engine and less than 100 miles and no thrashing I have another engine failure. The first time the customer service rep from polaris said t was over maintenance I changed the oil too often and not like the service manual said. Well the new engine I treated like a new child and I guess that wasn't enough.

Going out ice fishing through very little snow the machine quit. Thankfully the ice was thick enough to retrieve the machine with a trailer. Got it home and cranked it over to run but a second, all my ears heard was the labor, and click and clack of a doomed engine. What gives, I have maintained these engines per the service manual, the customer service rep on the first engine said I over maintained the engine.??? Do the polaris engines have issues? and where can a guy find an engine to replace the one that is damaged now.

By the way let me know what you all think may be wrong it cranks makes a lot of noise the shuts off.

Norm

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have to believe what you say, but that engine is known to be bulletproof. If you want to see video of 500's going through "you know where", I think I have some. I can't think of anything that I have heard or read, even close to what you are saying.

Never heard of over servicing. I would think you could change oil every day and nothing would happen.

All mfgr's will have lemons once in a while

2 Lemons in a row? To much maintenance? Polaris bulletproof? crazy When I had my popo and had mechanical issues the dealer told me that I wasn't riding it hard enough! I've heard alot of popo excuses before, but never heard of the to much maintenance one? Trust me,get rid of it and get a Yamaha,Suzuki, or Honda! You'll be happy you did! I know I'am. grin

Yeah, I don't know. I guess the 500 Fuji motor is supposed to be pretty good.

Didn't we go over the fact that Polaris is the reason we have the innovation we have today. There are parts on nearly every atv, that would be considered a copy cat of Polaris.

Could it be that whatever caused the first failure was not discovered and caused yet another? Was the engine rebuilt or was it a brand new motor swapped in?

I took it as the motor was rebuilt. Maybe it wasn't.

jltimm,

we all understand your disgust with anything Polaris ATV related. However, you are one individual who has had issues. Granted there will be more, but you simply DO NOT represent the majoirty with your experience.

All mfgr's will have lemons once in a while

2 Lemons in a row? To much maintenance? Polaris bulletproof? crazy When I had my popo and had mechanical issues the dealer told me that I wasn't riding it hard enough! I've heard alot of popo excuses before, but never heard of the to much maintenance one? Trust me,get rid of it and get a Yamaha,Suzuki, or Honda! You'll be happy you did! I know I'am. grin

Gee, I know what you mean Jltimm. I had a Ford Bronco a few years back that was nothing but trouble. The 4-wheel drive didn't work, it stalled when it rained, electrical issues etc. It finally came to an end when it caught fire in a parking lot and was destroyed. To this day, I don't believe that Ford has ever had anything come off the assembly line that was worth anything. They're all junk and I take every opportunity to warn people not to buy a Ford. After all, doesn't my bad experience mean that everyone who buys a Ford will go through that misery too?

I know this is off topic - Sorry. It just gets a little old.

Out of a totaled machine

Thanks for the reply Norm.

Depending on the condition of the totaled machine, I would be skeptical of any unseen damage to the motor. The issues with the replacement were more than likely pre-existing and not the fault of poor design or workmanship on behalf of Polaris.

I had a KFX700 that was totaled. After talking with the insurance adjuster on the visible damage to the machine, I let them know that due to the nature of the impact, I was concerned there could have been internal damage to the motor. They saw things the same way and decided to total the machine.

A few months later a guy called me up asking about the ATV he just bought at a salvage auction. Turned out it was my old KFX. I explained to him what to watch for in the event that something happened and he wasn't overly concerned.

Good so far. The power is unreal, along with the ride. Feels like a sport machine, but with 4wd. Only have about 100 miles on it. Just changed oil on it and my dad's new SP 800. May be taking them out to break trail for a guy I know with a Kodiak. That SRA Kodiak with stock tires gets nowhere in the snow. Gotta break the trails to our cabins, otherwise it get real tough getting back there. They had 14" in one snowfall a few weeks ago. May be interesting if they got much yesterday.

You want facts, go onto any of the ATV forums and take a look at the postings. If you think Polaris is as reliable as the Japanese made machines you haven't done much reading. When someone on the ATV forums asks "which utility quad should I buy", they mention most any brand except a Popo or they suggest staying away from a Popo.

I hope you love yours and have good luck with it.

I guess the weak seals on the top end of the early twin Kawi's, or the week tie rods on the KFX 700 and the Bombardier (Can Am)DS 650, or the frame issues on the Suzuki Vinson's and LTR's and Can Am Outlanders, or the Suzuki cam chain issues, or the Honda exhausts being choked up, or Hondas reluctance to go with disc brakes, or Honda's poor suspension/weak shocks, or the Grizzly's week axles, or the Grizzly's boiling gas in the carbs, or the Grizly's being more susceptible to water vapor entering the intake......and so on and so on....really means nothing at all.

We can dig up more if anyone would like.

I guess Polaris is the only mfgr who really has their lion's share of problems. Sheesh!!!!!!!!! crazyblush