• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winch cable fraying

cabin boy

Get the synthetic rope. You'll never look back. Sure the rope may break once and awhile, but you just re-tie it and your back to plowing. That cable is the biggest pain in the ^&% to cut and re-do! Not to mention the bloodshed!

Look on [YouNeedAuthorization] for amsteel rope. Motoalliance may have it also. It is only a few bucks more than a wire cable. You may want to change out the drum and/or the roller fairlead if it has any burs on it from the cable.

You will never get cut from the rope. It is alot lighter than the cable and more pliable.It does not stretch and is not supposed to fling through the air when broke under load.It doesn't "rats nest" as easy as steel cable. It is rated stronger than steel cable of the same diameter. It is very easy to work with, and will not make you swear like when dealing with steel cable! laugh

i have it on my warn xt and love it. i had to cut 8' or so off because it was too much and was binding. as jltimm said, it's not suppose to store any energy, therefore won't (shouldn't) shiscabob you when/if it broke like a wire cable would. i also like the fact that I don't find hidden burrs that poke your fingers. it's a heck of a lot easier to install than the cable type too. i don't know how they bend the cable over to get it to grab.

I just put some synthetic winch rope on this year and have liked what I have see thus far. I plow with my wheeler and I haven't noticed any "jumping" or "backlashing" like I did with my wire cable. I would definately reccomend it.

Not having to pull splinters out and able to handle the rope bare handed is in itself worth the additional costs. I guess since it doesn't stretch, if it should happen to break under a load, it will just drop straight to the ground. I was told that it was desinged for those off road truck guys who are always winching out each other. If anyone was going to give it a test, these guys would.

CA

CA,

how hard was it to get the synthetic rope on the winch? Was it hard to get your hands into the winch to tie it on? Also what kind of knot or crimp do you use to secure the rope to the winch? My cable is getting really bad and has come undone a couple times now and need to redu it but I hate the blood donation from the cable.

mr

Meat-Run,

It wasn't hard at all. On the end of my old cable there was a crimped on end that was held to the spool with a screw. I had to take off my fairlead (roller) and then I had room to work. The cable that I purchased didn't have a crimped on piece like the wire cable so I had to create my own. I used a wire terminal connector and cut off the plastic part. I found one that was very similar in size and crimped it on tight. It probably isn't the strongest, but I typically don't run my winch all the way out 50'.

I would reccomend purchasing a new fairlead if you are planning on going with the synthetic. Any groves in your rollers made by the cable could potentially rub your rope and shorten it's lifespan.

I am very happy with it, and I probably will never go back to the cable.

CA

Motoalliance carries this rope. There are a few others you can find on the internet if you do a search for synthetic rope for atv winches.Make sure you get the 3/16" not the 1/4" because if you try to put 50' of the on an atv winch, you will not be able to get it all on. Looks like $55 for just the rope to $90 for a kit.

yea i would just go with a synthetic rope, they arnt to expensive and they dont require the recutting and stuff that you always have to do with a steel one. atleast thats what i did, we use our winch all the time and i hate cutting my hands on the steel one.

After breaking my winch cable many times I started using a tow strap and I have not had a single problem since. I pull off the cable in the fall and put it back on in the spring. I cut a tow strap to about 6 feet. I then run a screw through the strap and through the hole that the cable normaly goes through. When the strap wraps around the drum it holds the screw in place. The preformed loop gets attached to the plow.