• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trophy pheasant?

just curious, what do you guys consider a mountable pheasant? tail length, the story with it, their beauty? i got one last weekend that i am leaning on taking in to the taxidermist. very full of color, and its winter plumage. no flight feathers damaged on wings or its rear fan. butting tape measure into its rear, tails are 23 inches long, not including its feather quill, so i'd say close to 24, maybe a bit better. its my best rooster to date, and taking into consideration we don't really have a SD style pheasant status where we hunt, i'm thinking he is worthy of going on the wall, any thoughts?

I agree completely with the above statement. If it is a trophy to you, who cares what anyone else thinks. A mountable anything is always only up to you! You have pride or a story or a special memory with that choice, so if you want to remember it. GO FOR IT!

I mounted a piebald rooster that I shot a number of years ago. Specks and streaks of white are found throughout this very mature bird. It was the unique features of the bird that got me to finally mount one, and it is among my favorite mounts down here in the man cave.

Trophies are in the eye of the beholder. Go for it.

From a practical point of view, the bird needs to be in decent shape (not too shot up, majority of feathers intact, blood is less of an issue on pheasants than lighter colored birds, but ..)

... spending that kind of money to mount birds, long term you will be happy if the work is done well by a top taxidermist, but taxidermists can only do so much with what is handed over to them.

summary

make sure bird is in excellent shape

research taxidermists

- see their work, talk to other clients

don't wait a year to bring the bird in

Almost every rooster we shot this year was a mature bird. It wasn't uncommon to get 2 or 3 over or close to 23" per day. I had a couple that would have made really nice mounts but I have a bigger bird from ND at the taxidermist already. If I didnt hunt much I would put a 23 on the wall because that is still a respectable bird.