• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got kicked off Private land??

So I talk my father into going Pheasant hunting with me for the first time in about 6 years. I am hunting a small slough with thick grass around some cattails and a small wood lot. I have been hunting this piece of land for 15 years and I have permission from the owner. I have been waiting for the corn to come down and I am really looking forward to pushing it toward my father who is posting the grass and woodlot edge. My brother and I just start out when I see a pickup truck next to my dad. I hear the guy yelling so I yell to my father to have the guy drive over to me. He drives over and starts yelling at me and says I'm tresspassing and he's had it with the F-ing deer hunters and such. So I now know who this guy is, he is the father in law to the actual owner and he owns the parcel right next to the one we hunt. We know better than to go near his land because he has never given us permission before. I tried to explain that we have permission and have been hunting this area for a long time and he said not any more you don't. So instead of getting into any kind of a [PoorWordUsage] match I decide to leave. I figure I better go see the land owner since I had not stopped in that day and I wanted him to know what had happened. Well to make a long story short he say's, Bushwac, my father in law is an A$$Hole plain and simple. He states that the guy is getting crazier by the day. He states that I am more than welcome to hunt any of his land but he wouldn't be surprised if some day his father in law doesn't drive down with a gun and confront and or worse.

Well the writing is on the wall...........I'm not hunting that parcel anymore.Well maybe a quick little hit and run when dads not with grin. Certainly took a little of the fun out that day for myself and my brother and dad.

First time I've been kicked off land I had permission to hunt!! That spot always produces also!!

Certainly sucks, but sounds like you did the right thing. No bird is worth a fight. Sorry it isn't working out. I would maybe get the permission in writing. I used to print out a plot map of the section and highlight color the parcel I was getting permission for and before every season go to all the land owners and just kindly ask them to sign it for your own piece of mind. They all seemed to respect me more for that and then I would put each permission slip into a clear cover sleeve and then into a three ring binder I would leave in my truck. So if anyone ever questioned me. VOILA! there it was, it shut up quite a few people over the years. It even got me to the point that some land owners asked me if I would monitor and post thier ground and gave me sole permission for some pieces.

Note, every year, I also make the journey to get things signed and dropped off either some pheasant breasts, or a gift certificate to a local restaurant. A guy for good private ground permission is doing pretty good for spending a couple hundred dollars a year for some real nice hunting!

Just a thought for you on getting it in writing. That may divert his anger to his son in law and take it off of you. Good Luck

I once got that tip from a hunter, and now I hope it works for you and you can someday pass it on too.

Had a similar incident on a piece I bowhunt this fall. A guy confronted me while I was walking to my stand in the dark. Told me I didn't have permission to hunt the piece, and rather than get into an argument in the dark, I just took a different stand and visited with the landowner afterwards. As I knew, all was well and he ended up making the landowner mad for "deciding" who did and didn't have permission. Long story short, I don't think we'll see that guy again any time soon.

Yes, I always have thought about that. Up until this time I have always just went with a pleasant conversation and a handshake. First time I have really had any issues. I like the idea of the high lighted plot map.

I forgot to mention that after talking to the land owner I hit another one of his smaller pieces I hunt right next to his house..............Bingo...........New pup locked up solid on a big ol Rooster!!

Duffman,

It was a busy weekend that's for sure. Didn't see a whole lot of Roo's down south. Lots of hens but fewer roosters. Matt has been hitting the spots pretty hard and has shot quite a few so that may have had a littlke effect. Ended up shooting 3 at Davey's along with a Ruffed grouse. Gotta love that combo hunting. I ended up seeing 7 deer but nothing in range of my bow. If Kunzeye would have went to the right stand he would have had two right under him. I watched them graze until dark about a 100 yard from my ground blind.

And we pushed a big 8 that Davey watched all morning with some does right under Billy and it stopped 50 yard broadside in the wide open trail for him. It was the biggest buck Davey has seen this year on his place. Oh, Billy forgot to load his muzzle loader grin!!

I am out of here at 11:00 and heading SW with TC SPORTSMAN and his brother Bruce. A combo Pheasant/bow hunt again.

Maybe you could get the landowner to come out and talk with his FIL? Give you an introduction? "Dad, this is Bushwac. Bushwac, this is my FIL. Dad, just so you know, Bushwac has permission to hunt over on my side of the property line."

I have seen this problem several times. Relatives, neighbors, and even friends of the landowners think they can control the land.

I even had some stranger challenge me on my own land. He pulled up to my truck at the approach and asked me if I should be here. I asked him if he should be should be here and who he was? The told me not to get smart. I just stated my name and that I am the landowner. He looked at me, put his truck in reverse, and drove away without saying another word. I took the lic number in case I hear of this happening to any of my hunting buddies who have permission.

If I see this happen again, I'll report it to the sheriff's department - especially if he pulls this stunt with my friends. The sport of Hunting just does not need this kind of bad behavior and poor experiences.

The same thing happened to me on land I own, We, my 3 son and I were getting ready to go into the woods I own and a pickup with one person pulls up and asked what we were doing, he stated he had exclusive rights to hunt that woods from the owner and we were to get out of there. I asked him if he knew me and he said no. I said I own this woods and I never saw you before and I never gave anyone permission to hunt here. You should have seen the expression on his face when he left. Takes all kinds.

Me too!!

I was walking in MY woods with my wife when I see a hunter (no one had permission to hunt in the woods). He comes up to me and starts yelling and swearing and said I was tresspassing.

I asked where the owner lives so that I can ask permission and he said he was the owner and points to his house 1/2 mile away by the lake.

"Really?" "Wow honey (as I looked at my wife), if he owns this land...why are we paying all the taxes?"

He didn't know what to say. I called the CO and turned him in for Tresspassing. I don't know if he got ticketed as I never heard anything after that.

If that ever happens again, where you're confronted on your own land, apologize profusely so he thinks he pulled one over on you, then go back and call the CO. That way the jerk will be caught in the act. Smile broadly as the CO talks to him.

This is a very good point. The way I understand it, if the law doesn't actually witness the trespassing, there will be no citation issued. Your word is no better than the criminal's.

This was alluded to on last nights news about the homeowner in Willmar whose house was being egged by kids. Filled up his super soaker with water and skunk scent and let em have it. Now being charged with assault.