• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Car subs and boxes

Cooter

Do not go larger than the mfg's specs. There is a sweet spot that most subs have, and it varies anywhere from 0.5 cf to 2.0 cf typically. A sealed box at around 1.25 cf (12"x13.5"x13.5" interior dim) will work for most cheap-mid level 12" subs. Don't cheap out on material by using plywood. 3/4" cabinet grade fiberboard or 3/4" MDF are the material to use, glued and screwed. Too large and you'll ruin the sub, too small and you not be impressed with the sound.

Ha. I had a couple of those test CD's also to see how much my eyes would vibrate with the two 12" Kickers I had in my car. crazy

BTW, I had them in a sealed, chambered box and it was built to the smallest volume allowable by the manufacturer. I liked the low's but wanted the tight kick for rock music too and they didn't disappoint. I also stuffed the box with polyfil to make the sub think it was in a slightly larger box than it was. The box was positioned so that the subs were aimed towards the back of the car to increase the distance of the sound wave. This really helped the sound quality. Seemed to work good and didn't take up the entire trunk. Some days I wished I still had them installed. Still have the amp and subs sitting in the basement though. frown

OMG Bass Patrol gringrin

Before the Bass thing got really popular, I had a friend who moved here from New Orleans where it was pretty popular. He had a Cavalier and built a box as big as his back seat would allow (yes took up every bit of the available space) and put 2 15’s in it, wired Christmas lights to the Amp so they would flash to the beat, then tossed some lights under the car. Every single thing in that car (windows, mirrors, seals grommets) was rattled loose, but boy were we cool cruising around in that thing cool

The only bad part was picking up girls, there was nowhere to put them grin

I later rigged up my car, but gave up after having everything stolen twice mad and my insurance company dropped me.

Ah the days……..

Nice! I had a buddy with a 80's cutlass. He had no back seat. He had a wall of 8 10's instead of a back seat. All of them were the rockford fosgate pro punches, the one's with the huge chrome magnets. That one hit pretty good!

I also had a different car with 2-15's in the trunk. I had to kick the box in there to get it in the trunk. Had to saw it in half to get it out.