• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spring bobbers

dairyman

Just a question, but why is everyone so into spring bobbers?

Isn't it just easier to own a fishing pole with a really flimsey tip to watch for a bite????

I found that it's just as easy to own 3 poles.

1.The flimsey light biter-UL For Pannies

2.The Strong and flexible pole-M For Walleyes

3.The Strong and Stiff pole-H. For Pike

Am I missing out on something with the hole spring bobber thing?

I'm by no means into spring bobbers, but also wouldn't want to use a flimsy rod for pannies all the time. Not the most fun. I like using TB power noodles when appropriate, but like to use a higher modulus fast action rod for pannies when I can. It's a better fight and I like setting the hook into them.

One great thing that a spring bobber does that a light action rod will not is notice a bite if the fish goes up with the lure/bait. Crappies will often losen the tension on the spring and you will see the bite. (the spring will be bent, and move towards straight when bite, no tension). This is very helpful

I use the thorne bros spring that attatches to the last eye. I believe frabill makes a universal spring similar.

Originally Posted By: Agronomist_at_IA

One great thing that a spring bobber does that a light action rod will not is notice a bite if the fish goes up with the lure/bait. Crappies will often losen the tension on the spring and you will see the bite. (the spring will be bent, and move towards straight when bite, no tension). This is very helpful

I use the thorne bros spring that attatches to the last eye. I believe frabill makes a universal spring similar.

you can detect a "up wards" bite on a light tip pole !!! if a fish hits up when your using a spring the spring doesn't go "up" if it does i can't notice it at all.

In regard to the "up" bite. On a typical graphite rod - I personally cannot detect it unless I have a heavy enought lure/jig on to cause at least a slight bend on the rod tip. I like the spring bobber (St. Criox) because I can use very light tackle and still detect it. This same light tackle would not be as effective with light bites on my UL rods w/o springs.

Was out with my brother's friend last winter - he used traditional bobber and straight jigging. I was out fishing him with a SC Legend spring bobber rod 10+ to 1 cause he was not detecting the light biting crappies. Next day he went out and bought 2 St Croix legend spring bobber rods.

If I am in a situation that I don't have a spring bobber and using light tackle (cause my buddies in the shack are using mine), I can still detect the real light bite on my standard UL rods by slowly lifting the jig when I see a fish signal on top of my bait on the flasher. If I detect any weight on the line, I set the hook.

I have not yet tried a noodle type rod, so have yet to see how that works. Many people like it and say it is just as effective as spring bobers for detecting various types of light bites.

I myself don't have a true noodle rod. However, my friend has one that I am truely jelous of. I swear you could tie the rod in a dam knot at the end and it wouldn't break the rod.

Now back to the point. This rod is so light that the actual tip will hang down just a bit if there is really light lure on it. Then if you get an upwards bite the tip comes up.

I guess I should have rephrased my question this way.

With the light rods of today having noodle type tips that act just like a spring bobber what's the point on getting a spring bobber? Why not just have the special pole for the pannies with the light 1-2lbs line, and a noodle rod.

In a nutshell a properly setup Spring Bobber is going to be able to detect the lifts and subtle bites a BIT better than the Noodle.

Both the Noodle and the Spring do a good job of detecting bites.

It's really a matter of personal preference. I know guy's that use noodles and can't stand Springs and vice versa.

Personally I don't go anywhere without my Springs!

I have had luck with the Frabill spring which attaches to the rodtip eye. I had a spring setup purchased from a bait shop the guy made himself. It was heavy gauge wire insulation. The spring was in one part and the other half went around the rod. The spring was secured with adhesive to the insulation.

When they're biting fast and furious for everyone there isn't much difference...but when they are not...you don't know what your'e missing...

A good spring bobber set up will detect the lightest bites, Up or Down, that would otherwise be missed...

When they are just mouthing a lure, even a very light rod will not detect most of these...this happens more than you would guess...but you will find out if you try one...

As NCLaker said, under the right circumstances you will out fish others... and often several times over...much to their fihstration...

Try this...Put the same small lure on the end of you best rod and one with a good spring bobber...see the difference in bend...then with your index finger lift and feel how much difference it takes to make each tip move noticeably, and how much they move...then carefully, and this should only be used by a Professional and not at home or ever by any children, put the end of the hook on your upper lip and carefully slowly put downward pressure and see the difference and the pressure a fish feels with the slightest movement... eek

You will be able to detect a lot easier with the spring...

That said there are a lot of sprins that get loose or fall off or get all Twangeled up...which is why many don't like them...

The St Croix spiral spring setup is a good one, though I have more favorite rods, so I am setting up the St Croix type spring on the end of them by removing the end tip putting another eye near the end and threading on a spiral spring... whistle

I totally agree with Agronomist in IA........

I have several "noodle" rods. buy the cheap ice blues rods from HT. they have a very flimsy tip. They are like $10 at the most. I have a st. croix and other expensive rods and the HT is my go to for pannies. I also like that the rest of the rod is fairly flimsy. This keeps tension on those pannies when fighting them. Some of your so called better rods with spring bobbers are pretty stiff and when you set the hook and start to fight the fish the stiff rod does not keep the tension on the fish like the solid bend of a less stiff rod. (if you understand what i am saying)

One advantage of a spring bobber not mentioned yet, is the subtle jigging presentation you can present using ultra small jigs. The spring on the end of your rod allows you to give that slow swimming motion that just might turn on a negitive fish. I've got noodle rods and spring bobbers. Its nice just to have another tool in your belt.

I used to say the same thing about springs, until I got a St. Croix Legend ice setup. [PoorWordUsage] is that thing sweet! I mainly target slab crappies and I have to say that my hookup ratio has increased 50%! No lie! Its so sensitive, and even when they just touch it ever so slightly, i'll set that genz bug on em! You just gotta try it. I wouldnt recommend the Thill or rapala spring bobber or whatever it is, the one that clips on the the tip of your pole. I think it looks like a little metal spring. By far the St. Croix one is the best ive used. Wait till late ice (Late january, early feb) and you can buy st croixs for 50% off at some retailers.