• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting away from the crowds?

woody1975

We have a group of 13 people and have hunted the same neck of the woods for about 20 years. This year, because of all of the people that hunt opening weekend, we decided to go up a week later. My question is does anyone else do this? What kind of luck have you had? and Do you change your strategies from hunting opener?

Thanks

DL

We are like the others have stated that we always hunted second weekend and had less pressure and I believe that we had better hunting. But with the changes this year with only one season we as a group are just bow and muzzy hunting this year. Less pressure and more time.

Froggy

Last year I hunted both weekends... my roomie and I each shot a nice buck opening weekend but I saw a lot more deer the 2nd weekend. I think if you put the time in you'll do fine. Less deer but less pressure on the 2nd weekend. More deer, more pressure the first weekend, but those other hunters may or may not push deer to you.

My personal preference is less hunters because I HATE hunting near other people. Ruins the experience even if they are courteous and ethical hunters

Hunted the second week a few times in the past - it is great - no hunters and the deer are back moving again since they are not being pressured. If given the choice, I would hunt from opener to the first Wednesday then go back home but come up again the second Wednesday and hunt the rest of the last week.