• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Have you ever tried....

...to catch a single leaf as it falls? OMG, I thought chickadees were tough! Took about forty minutes before I came close with this one. Canon 50D, 100-400L, ISO 800, f/5.6 @ 1/6400 sec.

L1.jpg

This one included just because I'm still amazed at the 50D high ISO clarity. Shot this at ISO 1600, f/5.6 @ 1/500 sec:

L2.jpg

Ken,just curious,how much noise do you see when you crop in 100%?

I'm asking because I see more noise in the sky on the iso 800 shot of the leaf than the 1600 shot of the boyd. For me,I always seem to see the most noise in the blue of the sky than in the dark places-where most folks say it is most visible. crazy

Nice shots.

In each of these cases, a close lasso of the subject, then selecting "inverse" to highlight everything but the subject and running Noise Ninja and a light guassian blur on the backgrounds would turn them totally buttery and smooth.

And I'm not saying these look very grainy, because they definitely don't.

I use a different method for selecting all but the sky, in shots similar to the leaf shot. What works much faster for me is to use the magic wand with the tolerance set at around 30, click inside the blue sky, which will select the whole sky, and then select inverse. With the shot of the boyd, I'd have also used the magic wand and then keep selecting "grow", until eventually the whole bg was selected, and then inverse. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. I just find this faster and less chance for errors.