• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12v light question

Gus

I'm building a fishouse this summer and would like to put 12v lights in it. Most likely just one 12v bulb in the center or maybe one on each half. I've used RV bulbs in the past but this year I am thinking of running them off or a Vex type battery instead of car battery to save weight. Does anyone have any idea how long that battery would work for lights?

A 20watt 12volt bulb will draw about 1.66 amps. Most vex type batteries have about a 7.2aH or amp hour rating. In which running one bulb would take 7.2 / 1.66 = 4.3 hours. Now that doesn't coun't the draw from the vex. Which is 200mA 0r .2amps, which combined with two 20watt dome/tail light bulbs will draw out your battery in a hair over 2 hours.

I just ordered some bayonet base style LED bulbs to put in my house (30 LEDs per bulb). You can get them with much fewer LED's per bulb. The 30 is about 4 Watts. I wanted something bright. They should arrive next week, I post how well they light up.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 07-27-2004).]

For hole lights I used these "winshield wiper lights" from Champion auto. They came with about 6 feet of wire and have a single led bulb. I just went in the garage and tried it in the dark. It provided enough light to see down the hole and they are directional, so I mounted it in a small piece of pvc pipe so it can be moved or adjusted in the hole.

The bayonet style base ones are from a company in Missouri. THese are your typical 12v base as in tail lights etc... Google search "super bright led" and you should find it. They were by far cheaper than any other place I searched (1/2) the price. I ordered some of the right angle ones due to the stlye of lights already in the house.

Anyone know where to get some of that flexable hose that you can move and it stays in place. I have a vexilar brand light that has the type of attachment...10inch plastic that bends and helps position the light. That one has a small incandecient bulb (not sure of its wattage). Thats what I would like to use for hole lights with LED's!

Hey,
I use what most people call a map light that gets used in out squad cars. They are alittle expensive but they work great and are very rugged! They have a 18 inch flexable neck and I have them mounted about 10 inches from the side of the holes and they have a red filter that can cove the light if wanted and a knob that adjusts the brightness! The work great. They move so you do not hit them with the auger and like I said very rugged. I have had to change one bulb in 3 years.

------------------
Jigging For Pigs!!

Thanks TVBoy for the math answers. Very helpfull. I wasn't planning on running the vex and lights at the same time off the battery, but rather getting a second battery to bring out and hook up to the house. I was thinking vex battery so I can easily take it home and leave nothing for the theives to take. 4 hours would work well for me for weeknight fishing but for weekends that might get a little iffy. Thanks for the good answers. I might look into LED lights which would be nice and hopefully keep the draw down. Thanks again.

dcon and bb56,

When I built my fish house I bought lights for the ceiling and for over each hole from an RV sales place. The ones in the ceiling were the standard 6x6 white plastic with the sliding switch, the ones for over the hole were brown and they had a ratcheting swivel in them so you could adjust them to point down the hole. One thing to keep in mind when mounting the ones over each hole, put them in a position that you won't smack into them with the auger when drilling your holes (I learned the hard way!!!).

Ole

------------------
Olson Insurance Agency
[email protected]
952-224-4774

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 07-29-2004).]

When I built my house I used landscaping lights from menards. They are about 3" in diameter and stuck out from the wall about 1" and the light shines straight down. They weren't to expensive and the repalcement bulb was a normal automotive bulb.

I received my LED bulbs yesterday. They fit right into place in the ceiling mounted rv type fixtures. They didn't give out as much light as the bulbs that where there, but plenty of light. It was a whiter light than the incandescent bulbs I replaced.

Hey tv boy, did you order the 30 bulb led? I was looking at that HSOforum and was thinking about ordering some of those as well. I have a 6 1/2 by 14 house and I was wondering if 3 of those would do the job.

Ears,
Yes I got the 30 LED right angle ones to go in the Overhead light fixtures that were in the house. Three should be alright. Just depends on how much light you want. If you need more just put the regular bulb back in. The light is whiter and slightly more focused.