• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunday Tribune Article

Mlaker3

The newest article talks about the trails a bit more, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Quote.....

Something is wrong when Wisconsin allows ATVs to use only 180 miles of trails on DNR lands, while Minnesota may end up with 7,700 miles of trails. And much of the enforcement and education is being handed over to ATV clubs.

The last I heard, Wisconsin has more trails. They also have trail ambassadors. They had the program before we did. I think this writer made a mistake comparing to Wisconsin.

Or am I missing something?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time any of us saw a newspaper when the majority of the stories were positive?

I'd like to hear something about:

The USA is in the best financial shape it's ever been in.

The USA doesn't have to worry about terrorists anymore.

Every american has 100% health coverage.

The USA finally implements a law to keep incompetent people from becoming president.

In the USA, Americans come first!

The unemployment rate dips below 1%.

Corporate CEO's cannot collect incentive or bonus packages, stock options, or any other financial gain if their company is struggling, moving work overseas, or shutting plants down.

And the best one of all.....

ATV Riders in MN have done their work to establish designated ATV trails.

Sorry, but it's not gonna happen.

It may happen, if a single one of these things would come true. Right now this is just a wish list.

Quote:
Something is wrong when Wisconsin allows ATVs to use only 180 miles of trails on DNR lands, while Minnesota may end up with 7,700 miles of trails. And much of the enforcement and education is being handed over to ATV clubs.

I alsways thought Wisconsin had more trails too. I am not sure how they are set up though. I noticed the article said DNR lands. Maybe it is like our GIA snowmobile trails where they run through private land.

In a nutshell, it seems like ATV's were unregulated for the past 25 years or so, so people are used to being able to do whatever they like. Now, we're trying to impose some regulations and reign everyone in. It's like spilling a can full of ants and trying to get them back into the can. It's a bit backwards, but that's the situation we're in. Growing pains in a sport/activity that has exploded in recent years.

It sounds like the DNR is trying. They know the issues and are acting on the needs, but it's a long process and, with this kind of bad press that will just keep coming, it will be more difficult to get any new trails established.

I believe snowmobiling went through the same thing in MN when it was "coming of age", and we now enjoy a pretty great system of trails.

It takes time, but in the meantime we need people to ride responsibly.

Wisconsin has alot more trails on public land than MN! I can name several counties that each county has more trails then MN does state wide.

I believe they are county and not state or DNR trails. This article was just talking about the DNR trials, didn't say anything about the county trails in WI.

It took many years (over a decade) for the snowmobilers to get some great trails.

The ATV community has grown very fast, and it will take a long time for trails to "catch up", if they ever do.

One thing about snowmobile trails 1) they are only used part of the year and in the winter, when people are outside less 2) the damge by a snowmobile is much much less.

Snowmobiles, hiking, bikings, nature lovers can all get along for the most part. However, 4 wheelers interfere with all these groups...so ATVers have an upwards climb.

And, people who say "What the heck" and "mud" or whatever...hurts it for everyone else and makes the hill harder to climb.

QUAD magazine has some pointers this month about riding responsibly.

Snowmobiles will do their share of damage, although not as bad as an ATV with a doorknob for a driver. It just takes the snow to melt away to expose the black strips of dirt through someones yard. I could go on and on, but this isn't the place to wage war on another outdoor sport that I would most definitely participate in if I had the funds.