• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pout Questions?

Minnetonka

Tonka,
Will be there, but probably not fishing much if any.

I would fish 30-60 feet deep. I like a bobber with a fathead about 2" off the bottom and a pimple on the other with a piece of meat. Generally the cork will go!!!

Fish after dark!

I've only caught 1 pout and it was on Winnie a few weeks ago. We were in 21' of water and it was suspended at 12'. I saw the mark on the vex and reeled up to it. We saw another one in 26' with the camera pointing up, it was suspended also. It looked to be about 10' below the ice. Both were big females the one I caught was just about 8 pounds and was great with melted butter. I've always thought they were bottom fish but I guess not. Buckshot rattle with minnow head.

Fishing is Life.

bodyman
I had the same thing happen to me up there a few weeks ago too----fishing 30 feet and a blip shows up at twelve feet. I pull up and it hammers my bait---thought for sure it was a pike or an eye but it was a 8 pound pout----shocked the heck out of me.

They are ugly but tasty!

jeff

so many lakes.............so little time

Catching pout is a little different than most fish. Its not about the bait, its about the attitude. You have to drop your line as though you are fishing for eyes or some other more worthy species. If you are convinced that you are fishing for anything but pout, you will catch them. At least thats what happens to me...ooooh, I still hate touching those things! Good luck!

Glow Northland Buckshot rattle Spoon with a smashed minnow or minnow head banging and settling on bottom. On 2nd rod try a minnow head and a full minnow on a jighead or bare hook just dangling off bottom on a deadstick or bobber. If you have some nice old half frozen smelt use that. Use fireline with a mono shocker and you will feal just the weight of those soft biters.