• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alaskan halibut and salmon dinner

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Just returned from a nice dinner party featuring a grilled Alaskan halibut and salmon dinner. Two of my fishing buds took their 2 oldest boys on a trip of a lifetime to Alaska and shared their reward with us.

What a meal! Nice salads, great grilled fish and wonderful company. To make it even nicer it was outdoors on this beautiful evening that has the promise of fall in the air.

Why is it that food always tastes better outdoors?

My parents just moved up to anchorage this summer, and they repayed me helping them move boxes for two weeks by taking me out fishing!

I have to say, Alaska is one of those truly incredible places. And oh MAN what incredible fishing!

Just got back from 10 days spread out between Homer, Seward, Soldotna and the last night in Anchorage before flying out. 1st time up there and all I can say is...Well words can't describe it. Pounded Silver's and Pink's on the Kenai River (only kept the silvers), then Silver's on a fly out then Halibut. My wife and I brought back close to 50lbs of fish each. Now to study up on some Halibut/Salmon recipe's.

Anyway you cook Halibut is a treat. Try the cedar plank trick for salmon mmmmmm.

Another simple trick for salmon on the grill is mix equal parts mustard and mayo and spread liberally on each side of fillet. Doesn't impart any taste, but keeps it from sticking to the grill. Put some fresh lemon slices on those bad boys and dig in!

I just got back from the Kenia on Saturday night. It was my 3rd trip in as many years. Spent time fishing halibut out of Seward and Ninilchek. Slammed pinks and Silvers (coho) on the lower Kenia near Soldotna. Fish on cast after cast. We had some silvers in the 12 to 15 pound class. Pounded Reds (sockeye salmon) up on the middle Kenia and Russian River. I brought back about 70 pounds of fish. There are lots of people who have Minnesota roots that live up there. I also ran into several people from the Duluth/Iron Range area who were slammin the fish.

Try frying up some halibut in 1 inch squares and make some fish tacos. MMMMMMMMMM Good.

Here is a must try recipe for salmon.

Two cloves of Garlic, Minced

One small onion, minced

i/3 cup Maple syrup

1/3 cup Apple juice

2 tablespoons of Soy sauce

Mix the above together and marinate the Salmon with it for a couple hours. Either cook it on the grill or broil in the oven skin side down. It is fabulas