• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bull Dawg Rod ---------help

taugust27

I throw mine on an 8' heavy bulldawg rod. It loads up nicely so you don't get too many dawg balls and it's long enough that throwing them doesn't wear you out too bad. We use quite a bit of mag dawgs, but not any pounders. I don't think this rod would handle it, so I don't know what to throw there. Good Luck.

I use a Thorne Bros rod built on an Avid blank stretched out to 8'6" as my dawg rod. Love it, slings mags effortlessly, and up to the 13" Suzy Suckers. It's unofficially titled as the Mag Dawg rod. I have a few Dbacks as well, but prefer not to throw the dawgs with them. I got the Thorne rod specifically for that purpose.

I really don't go to the pounders, but they're comparable in weight to the 13" SS. A 7.5oz Mag that stretches out to 15" is enough for me.

I have an 8' compre that I picked up at Thorne last year, I really like it for the larger baits, has a fast tip and really slings em out there. Decent price as well. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Stratos, you throw mag dawgs with that? How does that go? I use a 7'6" and it throws the regular dawg great, but is a little light and too much work for the mags. But a good rod for the money (especially when you know the Shimano rep)

The 8ft XH Shimano Compre is a great rod for throwing mags. No way I would use mine for pounders. I have a 9ft Musky innovations. Rated 4-16oz I think. I went with that model instead of the 10-40oz because I wanted to be able to throw both mag sized plastics and the pounders, big curly sues, and big suzy suckers works decent enough for DCGs as well, other than not loading the greatest for casting. The rods rated to 40oz or so just seem to stiff to be very versatile. A 7.5oz mag dawg won't even load a rod that beefy.