• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance green box?

Deputy Grizz

I don't have the green box, mine is a gold colored plastic box. can anyone tell me what year these came out. The model is a Lowrance LFP-235 FISH LO-K-TOR. It doesn't shoot through the ice every time. Once it's in the water it's fine. I modified mine to run off a 12 volt instead of the two lantern batteries.

Hey coldtoes I used to have one of those I bought it new in 1982. I sold it along with a boat years ago. It was the first locator I ever owned, it put me on a lot of fish while I owned it.

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

DO NOT RETIRE YOUR GREEN BOX!!!. I also have the fl-8, but I have been in situations where the green box worked better then the fl-8 for reading the depth through the ice. When the ice is cloudy (not smooth clear) the fl-8 and fl-18 sometimes has too much power and will ricochet off the ice instead of penetrating through it. The green box has never failed penetrating through the ice for a reading. I'm not sure on the power of the two, I think the green box has 300 watts and the fl-8 has 1500 watts?. I love them both!!

Have Fun!

Hey coldtoes, I also have one of those gold boxes, the head flips over with wingnuts right? mines an lfp-150 I emailed lowrance and they said my certain modle # was made in the mid 70's. Their a neat unit, would like to get mine modified for ice fishing. later boar

boar
I bought a replacement Eagle "puck" transducer from Burger Bros a few years ago and a plug from Radio Shack, spliced them together and away I went. Then this year I pulled out the lantern batteries and soldered in a cord that plugs into my motorcycle battery. If I can do it anyone can. It was something to do while waiting for ice. I check it against the Polar Vision and real depth and I'm within a foot or less. It's not as senstive as I would like. I am looking for a up -grade. Maybe at the end of the season on sale. Even after reading all of the comments here I still don't know what I want. I think FL-8.
ps
the tip with the red pepper was a good one-but the adhesive backed toe warmers I picked up at F. F worked even better - 6 hours on Prior Lake yesterday.

------------------

My Green Box has a permanent place on my
fishing stuff shelf. I put the clips on
many years ago so I wouldnt have to fool
with those lantern batteries.

It has a round tube type transduce and I
still have the screw on bracket to hold it
to the side of the boat. I would like to
know if there is a better ducer available.

It was last used a couple of years ago by
a buddy of mine until he FINALLY bought
an Fl-8.

It still works as good as it ever did. I
doesnt have the separation or sensitivity
of the newer products but it does still
work.

Nice to know there are still a few of them
around.

------------------
Curt Quesnell
NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

I agree.
I'm kind of a nostalgic old fart - I'll keep everything - just in case! Drives my wife crazy. I just explain to her that its a guy thing.
I'd talk to the guys behind the counter at Gander - they seem to know their stuff. I went to the fishing show and talked to a Lowrance/Eagle rep before I bought the new "ducer". Mine work great - just not enough power for the good seperation.

I agree.
I'm kind of a nostalgic old fart - I'll keep everything - just in case! Drives my wife crazy. I just explain to her that its a guy thing.
I'd talk to the guys behind the counter at Gander - they seem to know their stuff. I went to the fishing show and talked to a Lowrance/Eagle rep before I bought the new "ducer". Mine work great - just not enough power for the good seperation.

------------------

Luckyfish you very well could be right. I wish I could find my manuals on both of these, but I can't. I do know that the fl-8 has aleast twice the power of the green box. Maybe the green box only has 200watts?

Have fun

$5 is what I paid for my greenbox at a garage sale a couple summers ago. Put in the batteries and she read real fine. grin.gif

Some of the earlier greenboxes (very late 50s and early 60s) are considered collectible, though mine was built in the late 70s. Guess a 25-year-old greenbox isn't old enough to fetch big bucks yet. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Picked one up at a garage sale last summer for $10. It came with the manual and a some type of fishing assister that dials up type of fish/ weather/ etc. and give advise on where to look for fish. The box was convereted to 12 volt which the guy would plug in to his boat. He had outlets in his boat that were hooked up to his 12 volt battery. I had it for sale at my garage sale for $20 but I think I'll hold on to it now.