• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

strikmaster

Nutty Fisherman

I replaced the tin gas cap on my 10 inch strickmaster with the jiffy up-graded plastic cap...and it works just fine. I hated those cheap tin caps....I went through a lot of them last season. They just dont seem to hold up very well....

I paid $8 for the Jiffy cap to upgrade my old strikemaster cap....it was an excellent move...worth at least $20!!! No more leaks all over my gear. Still can't get that darn 3hp motor to run worth a dump, though?

I made even a better move this week. Tuesday I sent in my 1 year old 3 h.p. Stikemaster back to the company because it wouldn't run properly and was almost impossible to start on cold days. Wednesday I recieved a call from Cy at Srikemaster and he informed me that they would send me a new powerhead, of course a 2 h.p. Friday I recieved my auger and today I no longer have any auger problems. I recieved the new plastic gas tank cover. My truck no longer smells like a gas station. I am extremely pleased with Strikemaster's excellent customer service.

Why do people keep having so many problems with their augers? I had a 2hp Strikemaster for 6 years, then 2 years ago I found a new Jiffy 3hp on closeout that I couldn't pass up, so I sold my Strikemaster to a buddy who still uses it. I(we)'ve never had any problems with these engines, even without using Sta-bil or anything else in the gas tanks. Guess I'm just lucky so far??

Lwn

Strikemaster knows that the 3 h.p. is a poor cold weather starter. I was told by Strikemaster a service tec that the only reason they offer a 3 h.p. engine is because Jiffy offers has it on their product line. I've never had problems starting a 2 hp auger, however, I made the mistake of thinking that bigger was better.

I'm speaking from memory, but don't the Jiffy and Strikemaster both use the same 3 hp motor? I've always heard that the 2 hp is much, much ligher and better at starting and cutting. I, too, thought bigger was going to be better. Boy was I wrong.

I'll have to call them and see what they recommend.

I have the 2hp lazer XPress and its running very well, I think it is do to using AmsOil 100:1 synthetic oil and not having gas oil seperation. Others that have switched to it also are having better luck with faster cold starts and smoother running. The gang I fish with have all switched to synthetic and we now have 1 smooth running older Jiffy 3 and an Eskimo 3 both running great.
I also smells better in the fish house with the smokeless synthetic's

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

Jiffy and Strikemaster use the same Tecumseh motors.

I'm told that, over the last couple years, the 3 hp motors have different government standards imposed on them than the 2 hp motors. The kinks are still getting worked out, and that's why the newer 3 hp motors are having problems when the 2 hp are not.

The 3 hp Tecumseh on my auger is 7 years old. It starts on the first or second pull and runs like a champ.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-28-2004).]

I had a Jiffy 3hp for 8 years. Although it was finicky to get running perfect it always ran. I was always adjusting the fast idle screw depending on air temp. Just sold it and got a 2hp Jiffy for weight difference. So far the 2hp has worked well. Doesn't have a primer like the 3 but it has started everytime. Clutch engagement is noticably more abrupt but Jiffy claims that is normal. The new stealth blade design really rips throught the ice. The new cap from Jiffy works well. I put it on my 3hp before selling it and it did not leak. The new 2hp has it.

[This message has been edited by Suzuki (edited 01-28-2004).]

I just got a strikemaster 2hp express auger for christmas and it runs excellent. I do have a lot of problems with the blades icing up when drilling multiple holes even when I take precautions not to set the blades in the snow between drilling. It seems like any piece of snow or slush gets on the blades and it wont drill anymore. Anyone else have this problem?

UMD Fisherman,

I'm a former UMD guy myself. Here is what I do with my lazer and it helps trememdously. I did get both ideas from this site so I can't take credit, but it does work. Wax your auger shaft with a good car wax. This will help the water bead off fast and not stick to the shaft. Second, after you are done drilling a hole or set of holes drill one halfway down just don't break through to water. This will clear any of the left over water or slush from the blades. Like you said, also don't set it down blade first in the snow. I haven't had a problem with icing since I started doing this. Take care, and tight lines!