• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GLOW FISH

ICE FLASH

HAS ANY ONE ELSE SEEN THE NEW TYPES OF FISH IN THE PET STORES THAT GLOW IN THE DARK. WE BOUGHT SOME FOR OUR SON. THEY ARE REALLY BRIGHT. WONDER IF THIS TECHNOLOGY COULD BECOME AVAIABLE TO ICE FISHING AND MINNOWS.

[This message has been edited by ICE FLASH (edited 01-13-2004).]

just read about these things. what were your experiences? has anyone tried them?
not too sure i support genetic engineering when it involves introduction into our lakes....hmmm....i hope i don't sound like an addle-minded misinformed conservative.

Aren't they are the Mall of America? I thought I saw that on the news. It sure would be nice if they would stop messing mother nature to make fish glow and cure cancer and other diseases.

THE GLOWING PART HAS SOMETHING TO DUE WITH THE GENETIC CROSS OF OCEAN TYPE FISH (JELLY FISH, SEA NEONS ETC.) i JUST THOUHGT THEY WERE REALLY INTERESTING. PRICE WISE THEY WERE EIGHT DOLLARS EACH. MAYBE NOT THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE WAY OF FISHING. JUST HAD A CURIOUS THOUGHT FOR THE DAY.

Did a little research into this topic. The "Glow" in the fish comes from a flourecent DNA from a jellyfish they place in the fish. Apparently it all originated in Taiwan because they were making just the hearts of fish glow to watch the development process of organs. From what I found they range in price from $12.00-$26.00 a piece so I doubt we'll see them (or something like it) in a baitshop anytime soon. Apparently they will have a "TK-1 (green)," "TK-2 (red)," and "TK-3 (combination of the two)."

Sounds interesting.

[This message has been edited by hip_hop_fisherman (edited 01-13-2004).]

[This message has been edited by hip_hop_fisherman (edited 01-13-2004).]

These are zebra fish that were developed by inserting a gene from jelly fish that glow. This was not some screwed up research but stemmed from the desire to insert a gene into cells in an effort to use the glow effect to find cancer cells. They were successful and the firm that developed this is fully involved in cancer research. Someone at the firm came up with the bright idea to market the fish that were developed with this gene in them. All the fish that have this gene are sterile and can not reproduce. California has banned the sale of these fish. This months Popular Science has a brief article on this.
------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

[This message has been edited by Minnetonka (edited 01-13-2004).]

saw an advertisement for a company at the back of the new Field & Stream. they claim with their product you can change the color of your minnows to colors such as red, yellow, green, purple.... well anyways anyone used this stuff or heard of anyone who has used it? the name of the company is called minnow magic (www. minnowcoloring dot com) and supposedly they have colors that last 5 minutes or two hours.

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.