• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Puppy

lient

I have a chance to get a lab puppy from a buddy at work. He said the pups should be here in about 20 days. My question is what do you guys think between getting a male vs getting a female. I have heard from some people that after having a female they would never go back to a male dog. Just wondering what your opinions were.

Thanks.

Total opinion. No sex is better than the other. I've had males and females and if trained properly, there was no difference in performance. My last male was probably the 2nd softest dog I've ever owned and trained... my 1st lab ever was a female and was probably the hardest head and stubbornest dog I've trained. Both were exceptional trial dogs and hunters.

Altering your dog whether male or female at around 8 months will definitley reduce the hormone urges either sex faces... the males and his testosterone flowing from 1-3 years of age and the female with her moody heat cycles...

Good Luck!

Ken

When a female pees it kills grass in your lawn when a male pees it doesn’t kill grass. Female heat cycles are hard to deal with if they happen during hunting season but there are pills you can give to delay heat cycle. There are a lot of pros and cons about using pills. Males are a little slower and females a little faster to mature into good hunting dogs. With both male and female being very good at 2 ½ to 3 years and are in their prime at 5-6 years. Hope this helps.

When you go to see the litter and pick out a pup, one will usually pick you out and in your heart you well know that is the right one for you.

Have Fun

Tink

When a female pees it kills grass in your lawn when a male pees it doesn’t kill grass.

interesting....I have 2 male dogs, 1 cut and the other is intact and I have spots where the grass was killed/burned. confused

Male dog pee does kill grass and also those nice flowering plants that you pay big bucks for..... Females do not raise their legs so they do not pee on the plants....

I have had both males and females over the years and some really terrific dogs of both sexes..

The main reason for a female at this point is I don't want a dog to pee on our plants and bushes. I can deal with the grass.

I like the females because I believe, in my history anyway, the bond has been better.

I have zero problems with hunting my females during the hunting season. They haven't hunted any differently.

As far as killing the grass, I walk my morning, afternoon and nighttime so that she doesn't go in the yard. No dead spots this way!!!

I would agree with an earlier poster, just sit with the puppies for as long as you can. You will be pleasantly surprised how it does in fact work out that way. One generally snuggles up with you and from that point on you have a new "best Friend"

GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN!!!

Originally Posted By: Tinkhamtown
When a female pees it kills grass in your lawn when a male pees it doesn’t kill grass.

interesting....I have 2 male dogs, 1 cut and the other is intact and I have spots where the grass was killed/burned. confused

Female urine is more potent, both kill grass though.

For some reason I prefer females I don't really know why. I have a male dog and a female puppy. I do think females are easier to house trained because they can control their bladders a little better then the boys. Thats just my opinion though. Here is Molly, she turned 8 weeks today.

There is a product you can add to your dogs food to help with the urine burning the yard if thats a concern.

Molly.jpg

Pee is pee, do not differentiate between male and female helping the lawn or burning the lawn... it's all fallocy!

My males have never been allowed to raise their legs and are all squatters like my girls... they burn the lawn too if they are lucky enough to pee on the lawn. I have 3 acres and the dogs know not to go on the lawn.

Jconrad is correct, the only reason most people believe males do not burn the lawn is because they are lifting their legs... and wrecking every plant in the landscape instead of the grass!

Most pee damage on the lawn is from the winter time when the ammonia and notrogen lay on the lawn on top of frozen dirt and continue to burn until spring when it is allowed to leech therough the soil with the spring rains leaving you with the unsightly burn spots.

As others above have posted, Pick a puppy... not a sex!

Good Luck!

Ken

i got a question for anybody a friend of mine just got a 4 year old or maybe is it 7 year old Beagle from a friend.......anyway......it wont eat her dog food.,....and i was told it was only given Table scraps?

so what to do??

other than mix the scraps with dog food?

Does he eat canned food?

I have to believe he is just being stubborn and will eat if he gets hungry enough. Don't give in, try to get him on a good diet, table scraps aren't good for pets. Not only will they be malnourished, but unable to digest many things in a human's diet. If he won't eat, I would bring him to the vet, medication may be needed.

My males have never been allowed to raise their legs and are all squatters like my girls...

Good Luck!

Ken

Labs, how do you keep a male from leg lifting? I've had females that did lift legs, but never had a male that didn't. One of my current males lifts his leg on everything, so he can't be in the house uncrated or unsupervised.

well... a delicatley placed toe of the shoe in the proper area when a leg is lifted will deter even the most stubborn of males after a few times...

I make sure they also go to the bathroom in the same spot everyday, and this does not have any trees or posts or tires etc... works pretty good, the last 3 males have pee'd like girls their entire life.

Good Luck!

Ken