• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The DNR meeting you may want to pay attention to.

Lead or copper.....who cares, california Changed to all non- lead bullets not that long ago and they are still shooting critters in a humane fashion. I have just recently sighted me 30-06 with the barnesX after reading raving reviews from big game hunters all over the united states. I can't really see how this whole topic has been blown out. If the DNR says no more lead for hunting will you stop hunting or just adapt to the situation. Get over it, and move on. The ban on lead really isn't that far away anyways.

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
Is there a link up for this, or are you just giving us inside info? It would be good info to start on its own topic of new regs, Just a thought!

No, not yet. It's all still in process.

Thanks lcornice, I appreciate you taking the time to fill us in, and so do most of the rest of us!

I've read the Pioneer Press,Star Tribune and Duluth paper's account of the meeting yesterday. Only the Mpls paper had the following info, which seems to blunt the argument that it is a problem only if commercial processors are invovled.

By Doug Smith, Star Tribune

Last update: June 4, 2008 - 11:38 PM

Minnesota officials have tested 1,239 samples of venison donated to food shelves last fall and found that 273, or 22 percent, had evidence of lead bullet fragments.

That percentage is similar what was announced in April after about 300 samples had been examined with X-ray equipment.

But the extent of the issue continues to surprise and perplex officials.

Because all of the donated venison was processed commercially, some have suggested that careless processors might be at least partially to blame.

But the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources collected and tested 123 samples from DNR employees who processed their own deer themselves. They found about 18 percent had some lead contamination.

"I was shocked,'' said Lou Cornicelli, DNR big-game program manager and a deer hunter whose own venison had some lead contamination. "I'm pretty careful how I trim around wound channels.''

Ditto to what puddleduck said. I'm sure most of us are thinking that.

Wanderer you're slow, just trying to follow your instruction... Took me a while to figure out who our friend was as well.

Originally Posted By: shackbash
Thanks Icornice!

Good info! smile

Call me slow, but after reading this thread, things became much clearer to me when I figured out the I is a lower case L.

Thanks for being a part of this forum Lou, ...and I know how you feel!

I am sorry "lcornice" wink