• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deadstick vs. Bobber

Scoot

I've deadsticked, I've used bobbers- I like 'em both. I see no great reason, functionally speaking, why one is superior to the other. Why is it, then, that so many people adimately defend one over the other? Can anyone provide me a good reason why I need to quit using one and start using the other exclusively? Despite a few pros and cons for each application, I don't believe one is much better than the other.
Scoot

Scoot if your up for some local River Rat'n, we can try stick'n some cats and/or walleye?

(Lookie Scoot, no more Dots. Thanks to DaveO! DaveO wins my nice guy PRIZE for 2003.)

grin.gif

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Ed Carlson (edited 12-20-2003).]

You know I'm up for it! But... the next couple weeks/weekends are a mess. I might be able to swing it one evening soon, but maybe not too.
If I can sneak out, I'll give you a shout.
Scoot

Cool, catch ya then.

Happy Holidays to you and your too Eh!

Ya..know?

Sure hope you don't MISS OUT on something?

Like a hot local piggy walleye bite, something kinda like that...maybe?

Gee, that would kinda bite, Huh?

wink.gif

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Ed Carlson (edited 12-20-2003).]

If you miss the bite on a deadstick it's over, and it can happen FAST and then drop because the fish feels the weight. If you don't see a bobber bite right away, and if the bobber's balanced right, the fish feels almost no weight and will keep going with the bait. This is presuming you're talking walleyes. I also use a lighted bobber, and in a dark shack toward evening it shows up so well that I don't even have to watch it. I just notice there's no red glowing light and that means a bite and I set the hook. With a bobber you can also leave a couple feet of slack line, so the fish has traveled that two feet with the line before it begins to tighten agains the rod. Just a bit more time to play with. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 12-20-2003).]

Yeah, what Jig Stick said!

I was catching some finicky eyes and perch on Ottertail yesterday evening that I could barely feel on my jigging pole.

Up until about 5 pm, they were just nosing the bait. I was missing a lot on my jigging rig, but the deadstick/Rock n Reel combo was catching fish at a 2 to 1 ratio.

When a fish would hit the deadstick, the pole tip would dip an inch or two. I would slide the pole off the peg, point the tip into the hole, and set the hook when the slack ran out. Bam! Fish on!

At 5pm they turned on for about a half hour or so, and then shut off again.

The deadstick made the difference between having a nice fish supper and digging out a frozen pizza.

BullsInc I agree many days the Spring Bobber or Bic-Rig will get the most fish. I have done very well with them on perch and crappie.

What I do is combine Dead-sticking and the Spring Bobber/Bic rig. I put just enough weight on so if the bait rises or drops I'm on it.

The Bic-Rig is not very cold weather friendly though, the Spring Bobber usually works well even below freezing.

If I had a nickle for ever perch caught on Spring Bobbers at DL...MMMM-Boy.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Scoot.....Everybody is right on this one. Bobber if you're too busy jiggin to watch your other rod real close. Spring bobber if you want the ultimate in stealth, my personal favorite, especially for pannies and those sumo perch and sauger on LOW. Any chance I can find your dad on the big pond? I will be back up Jan1 thru5 staying at Morris Pt. as usual. Sure would like to meet you and BWE sometime too You know I only live a stones throw from Orwell !

rhski,

Long time no talk- how's life in God's country? My pops will be up at LOW through Friday, the 2nd. If you swing into Ballards resort before 9:00 or 10:00, you're likely to catch him. I'll show up that Friday and be around through the weekend- you can find me same place and time. I'll try swing over your way if I can sneak out too (I have the 2nd annual "take the gals fishing" weekend so I might struggle to sneak out). I hope you find lots of fish up there.

Ed, you're definitely right- it's the fishing I'm missing out on.
Scoot